Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lewisia

Posted by debbiecz3 z3MB (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 07 at 20:42

I just picked up this little plant on a whim; I know it needs excellent drainage to survive so hopefully I can find a spot for it where it won't rot. Will it tolerate a spot that is shaded for part of the day do you think?
Anyone who grows this plant and who has success with it? Debbie.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lewisia

I grew a couple for several years in a spot that was partly shaded, and they did okay, not spectacular. After about four years they just didn't come back. They might have been choked out by some sedums that grew a little rampant in that area. I can't offer any advice, though - i plunked them in there and they grew for a few years without much care from me. Maybe they would have lasted longer had i paid more attention to them, poor things. :)

o

• Posted by marric Z5b Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 26, 07 at 10:03

I bought my first one this spring. I was told it liked good drainage and full sun. It was in bud when I bought it so I knew I would soon have the gorgeous flowers. We have heavy clay soil so some of the flowers are in raised beds and that is where I planted the lewisia. It is in full sun and seems to love it. Right now it is on the second flush of flowers. I don't know how fast it spreads so I may buy another one to keep it company. Marg

o

Mine didn't spread at all. Maybe if i get another one, i'll put it in more sun.

o

Definitely full sun.

o

This is one of my new favourite plants. I bought two last year, they went through winter just fine. They're at least twice as big this year. The blooms are outstanding, it's one of the first plants to bloom, they last for weeks, and they smell like oranges! Got two more this year.

I'll tell you though, the first year, they seem to do nothing unless you bought them with blooms on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here