Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljpother

early blooming perennial

ljpother
10 years ago

I have a gift certificate for a local greenhouse. I'm thinking of getting early flowering perennials (May/June) to plant along my fence line. Right now I have a lot of mid to late summer bloomers. I'd like suggestions, preferably not purple of light blue.

Comments (25)

• don555
    10 years ago

Iris?

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    10 years ago

Daisies, daisies, daisies! Or you can come over here and dig out some of these dumortieri daylilies. They are yellow and are repeat bloomers. :)

But May bloomers in Edmonton?? Daffs, tulips, and crocus? :) Maybe a couple of early peonies?

Ginny

10 years ago

Don, my many irises are just starting to bloom now and we are already in the middle of June! Last year they bloomed right into July and the heat was just too much for them. :(

Ginny

• weeper_11
    10 years ago

Bergenia and dwarf bearded iris are some of the earliest in my garden..they bloom around the same time as the tulips.

10 years ago

I forgot about the dwarfs, Katie. Mine are pretty much done now but many of them are fast multiplying and tough little plants. :)

Ginny

• Pudge 2b
    10 years ago

Leopard's Bane, they'd be pretty along a fenceline

• beegood_gw
    10 years ago

Primulas. Auriculas are extremely hardy and bloom early

• northspruce
    10 years ago

Primula cortusoides and dame's rocket are early and look nice. They'd be a waste to buy at a nursery though because they're so easy to grow from seed.

I'd go with a nice early peony if it was me.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

Peony 'Mollis' is really early for me. My dame's rocket has just started, and the bergenia and pulmonaria are almost done. Other than that, tulips and daffodils. Oh - trollius blooms early too, but likes the shade.

• squirelette
    10 years ago

Spring Anemone -pretty, spreads like crazy, runners and self seed, fuzzy cottonball seed pods. Blooms with the crocus and daffs. About a foot tall plant

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

What about peonies? They are virtually carefree and would look good along the fenceline. If the spot is wide enough a flowering perennial would look good in front of them. Peonies in spring and an early summer flowering perennial would look nice. I have East Freisland Salvia and Catmint May Night flowering right now and the spikey flowers would look nice with the peonies. Marg

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

My fern leaf peony, shooting star and one iris have just finishing up blooming. The Jacob's Ladder and gas plant are in full bloom.

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

Blooming already??? wow am I behind here my jacobs ladder is just sending up its bloom towers and my peony is only out of the ground by 6 inches. If it were not for my massive petunia planting I would have no flowers. I planted over 100 tulips 4 years ago and now only have 2 left which did not flower this year. However on the up side my lilac in the back is flowering but I have not been out side to look at it since my surgery. They will be done flowering by the time I get out there.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

CLB don't feel bad my Jacobs ladder is in the same state. I have no notable flowers on my perrenials yet.

I am watching this with interest as I want to plant a fence line, wire, but I need deer resistant plants that are pretty much carefree.

SCG

• shazam_z3
    10 years ago

Bleeding heart.

Moss phlox.

Periwinkle (can be invasive).

Candytuft.

My Jacob's ladders are just starting to get spires. Same with the lupines.

This post was edited by shazam_z3 on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 14:32

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

SCG - rudbeckia. :)

10 years ago

marciaz3 thanks, I have put three species of rudbekia in as well as poppies and marigold.......i just can't get enough LOL....

SCG

• shazam_z3
    10 years ago

Lamium.

Pruning group A clematis.

10 years ago

Yeah shaman my lemon frost lamium has been blooming for a long time. It's also evergreen so adds interest in the winter. Love it!

SCG

• ostrich
    10 years ago

Here in my zone 3 garden, my golden bleeding heart has been blooming for weeks now! Simply stunning!

Then my Walker's Low catmint is also happily blooming too, but it is by the foundation in a south facing location. That said, it is blue and you don't want that...

Another early and reliable bloomer in my yard is dear dandelion.... such reliable and floriferous bloomers.... LOL

• beegood_gw
    10 years ago

My for-get-me -nots have been blooming like crazy for about 2 weeks now. Hazledean rose is starting to open the buds The columbine has been blooming for quite a while as well.

• shazam_z3
    10 years ago

There's actually a white flowered catmint available.

• ljpother
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

I need to widen the bed. I have climbing roses, hollyhocks, delphiniums, and day lilies that bloom from mid summer to fall. I have one clump of yellow day lilies blooming now.

My gardens are going to be re-constructed when I get back in mid July. I've signed up for Partners in Parks to plant along the fence that borders the park. It's hard to get plants started there when they city goes through with herbicide and weed eaters -- in spite of filling in the forms to maintain a buffer.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    10 years ago

I would second the dwarf irises as right now they provide the majority of the colour happening in my garden. Also anenomes, pulmonaria, peony 'Smoothie' or other early peonies would look great along a fence.

That must be frustrating with the City and herbicides for you. Here, in Brandon, the City stopped using herbicides about 5 or maybe more years ago and now the parks are a lovely, bright shade of solid yellow, of course followed by light and fluffy white puff balls after.:(

• northspruce
    10 years ago

Another one that I don't think has been mentioned is Icelandic poppies. I planted them from seed and nothing sprouted for two years. Then I had maybe two and they were both orange. Every year since then I've had progressively more and in many different colours. I can only surmise that their seeds have been lying dormant and germinating after all this time! I really like them, they have sort of citrus punch colours.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!