Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scarlet runner beans in hanging pots?

Posted by honalee 3a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 2, 09 at 20:50

Anyone ever grown scarlet runner beans in hanging pots? I need something to put in some hanging pots that can take the heat and sun and is fast growing. Any other ideas welcome.

Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scarlet runner beans in hanging pots?

In my experience a SRB would be a bit big for most pots. I have had them grow straight over my garage and keep going. Also they prefer to twine up rather than hang down and might even double back on themselves to make a knot.

Maybe nasturtiums would be nice instead?

o

I have LOTS of nasturtium seed and I had thought of that ...first thought actually, but I have not had any luck growing them in pots in the past. Maybe too hot. Wouldn't you know the easiest flowers to grow and I can't grow them in pots! Maybe if I start them in peat pellets.Hmmmm.

Ginny

o

Ipomoea?

o

I have planted petunias, lobelia, asarina in hanging baskets. I also tried the small flowering morning glory and they did great. I tried the black eyed susan vine (thumbergia?) but instead of hanging down, it decided to climb onto the patio roof. Guess some plants would rather climb than hang around. Marg

o

I broke down and went to Can Tire for some petunias. I have put petunias in these planters for a few years till two years ago when they got badly infested with aphids. They don't do too great in the heat hanging on the deck. I have different pots this year so maybe they will be better. I think I'll plant some nasturtium as well just for the fun of it. :)

Ginny

o

Ipomoeas as Shazam suggested are very nice too. I like the tricolour one with pink, and the dark purple. They thrive in hot sun.

Nasturtiums are one of my favourite annuals but for me, some years they do and some years they don't if you know what I mean. They either go nuts or sit sulking.

o

Geraniums both the zonal and hanging ones. I grow them in pots on my south facing patio and they get plenty of heat and sun. They like to dry out between waterings so they are ideal for hot places

Get rid of your aphids with insecticidal soap if you ever get them again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here