Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Hardening off Marigold Seedlings

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

I planted, for the first time ever, my own marigolds from seed in the house.

I took them outside with me for a while on May 22nd hoping to start hardening off, but then we all know what the weather did after that. They've been inside ever since.

So, now that the weather is supposed to be nicer, they came out in the shade today for a while.

Do marigolds need at least 7 days to harden off after growing indoors, or are they more tolerant more quickly? I'm running low on patience wanting to plant before fall comes! I've also asked on the growing from seed forum, but most people there are in a much nicer climate and I'm thinking things may be a little different in 2b.

Thanks =:)

Comments (6)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

What are your temperatures there now? If they're in the 20s and not too cold at night, i'd just stick them out there. Do you have a cold frame you could put them in? That's where most of my seedlings hardened off.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Agreeing with Marcia.

One thing you need to know when you're planting out marigolds, is to really spread their roots out and loosen the soil they're being planted in. At one time I would plant marigolds from little pots, and they would just sit there all summer never getting any bigger. Then I started direct sowing them and they were like gigantic marigold trees. I figured out (with help from GWers) that if their roots are wound up in the pot they never really figure out to branch out on their own. If they're direct sowed they develop normally. Funny thing about marigolds. I also find they like fertilizer a lot.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marcia - I wish I had a cold frame or greenhouse. We're still getting cold nights, so I guess I'll put them out and put them in the garage at night.

Northspruce - Hee hee! I'm the one who posted last year that my marigolds embarrassed me. Out of all the things I've grown over the years, marigolds were always the worst. I just couldn't grow them worth a hoot. The forum group last year told me to spread out the roots ( I was, but I guess not enough). So, after that, when I plantd my marigolds, I practically murdered the poor roots, and my marigolds were amazing! Who knew? Marigold roots like abuse =:)

• don555
    13 years ago

I start some plants, including marigolds, indoors under grow lights. Sunlight is much more instense plus has UV light so the marigolds need at least a week, better two weeks, of gradually getting used to the sun to prevent it from frying their leaves. I don't worry about cold (except for actual frost of course). This past weekend my marigolds (which I started hardening around May 10 and planted around May 24) endured being covered with 5 cm of snow plus a daytime high on Sunday of just 3 degrees. But it never got below freezing (down to 0.3 degrees) and the plants look fine now that the snow has melted.

• bdgardener
    13 years ago

I didn't know that about the roots. No wonder mine always look so sad. My mom always teases me about them. Her's always self seed and are gorgeous. I wish. Now I know why, maybe this year they will get big enough they will self sow. Hey, C

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Oh that was you was it NAF? LOL Well it shed some light on the mystery for me too. My DH always accuses me of repeating myself, I guess he's right.