Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proper care for sour cherry trees and bushes.

Posted by northernmn 3/4 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 21:10

My Northstar is in it second year of fruiting. The Evans and 6 Carmine Jewels are still a year away from fruiting.

All have beautiful leaves and are disease free. Last year, about 1/2 of them had aphids but they were easy to eliminate. The tiny amount of cherries on the Northstar seemed to have a bug entry indented spot on them.

This year, I'd like to eat some of the cherries. They are currently about the size of a large pea. What kinds of bugs like sour cherries in our zones and how are they stopped?
Do I need to worry about diseases? I did spray Immunox Plus just 1 time at the end of the bloom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proper care for sour cherry trees and bushes.

I have a question to add to this - if we do need to spray for bugs or disease, where can you buy the sprays?

o

I've never sprayed cherry trees or bushes here in Alberta, and no bug has ever attacked the fruit. It might be different in MN if people grow a lot of sour cherries there and some insect has moved in to take advantage of that? Maybe check with your dept. of Agriculture.

In my experience, the main pest for cherries is birds. Get yourself some bird netting if you are in an area with good cover for birds, and use it when the cherries start to turn colour.

o

You might want to post this on the fruit & orchard forum.

o

Thank you Don and Konrad.

To my knowledge, nobody else is growing sour cherries within a couple of miles of my trees. There may be some wild, cherry or cherry (choke cherry) related plants in the area though. Maybe I'll be OK on bugs. I do plan on having a bird netting system. One is in place for my blueberries. I hope the bears leave me alone. If not, electric fence is the only answer that I know of.

The reason that I posted here rather than the fruit forum was to get specific "cold zone" information. I really enjoy, and browse the fruit forum often. It is a great source of info, but most of the posters, although very adept, are in warmer zones. I feel they may be dealing with different insects than we are. If I can get responses from knowledgeable growers like you guys, that are in similar climates, it may be more meaningful for me.

o

I have young Cupid sour cherries and the only trouble I have are the grackles jumping up from the ground to grab the cherries!! I have not seen any signs of insect damage so far in 3 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here