Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

New Irises... and looking for ID help.

northspruce
14 years ago

So some of my irises are blooming for the first time and one is not anything I ever ordered... sigh. Anyone know who this is? It would be some TB that Chapmans has but does not currently have a photo of on his site.

Then I have this incredible iris mystery in the front bed. This one bloomed last year, labeled, indexed and correctly identified as 'Bantam Prince'... here is last year's photo of it:

And this is what's there this year:

It's a mutant bloom as it has 4 falls and one standard. I'm sure it's the iris Chapmans has a photo of in the centre of their homepage but I don't know the name of it. It looked a little like 'Low Life' but I have Low Life and it's lighter yellow and more plicata, and more burgundy than purple.

The bed it's in only has two irises and the other one is Easter Treasure which is blooming the same as before. The only thing I can think of is I got 2 different irises stuck together, and last year Bantam Prince bloomed while this year this other one is blooming. I think that would mean that BP is dead because there isn't much else in the way of rhisomes there. So weird. What do you think?

Comments (10)

• squirelette
    14 years ago

The first one is gorgeous. I had a huge bed of iris years ago that went wild, I started with purple and kind of copper colored ones and they crossed and the crosses took over the bed. It only took 1 year to start. Maybe that is what happened. I know lilies will revert back to parent so maybe irises are like that also. No matter they are all lovely

• valleyrimgirl
    14 years ago

If Gillian's irises crossed last year and one of them did produce seed and the seed fell to the ground, then the this year one of the many seeds may germinate in the garden and then would be called a seedling.

Next year the seedling may make it thru the winter and if it does so, then it would continue to grow and may or may not be mature enough to bloom next summer.

But, the following summer it should have a mature enough rhizome to bloom.

Brenda

• northspruce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nope, no seeds or anything like that. It was a piggyback rhisome I'm sure. It's identical in colouring to one of Chapman's irises.

So I e-mailed Chuck to find out what the mystery TB was, and he says it's something he found growing in his planting of Cinnamon Girl. That solves the mystery since Cinnamon Girl was one I ordered. He doesn't know what it is, or if it's a seedling or a sport.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just resurrecting this old post to comment on the TB iris in the first picture. It's in its 3rd year and it's the best TB iris I've ever grown. :S It's very large and vigorous and already has 4 fans blooming. It's starting to spread into a nice clump. Most of my modern TBs grow year after year if I'm lucky and rarely bloom at all.

Figures... the no-namer... I do like the look of it though but I don't like not having a name.

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

LOL, stuff like that happens to me to...the mislabeled ones that I am initially disappointed in end up being my favorites because they are so floriferous or something.

Have you told Chuck how well this TB is doing? He may introduce it if he knows it has the genes to be a great cold zone parent. That is so neat!

• northspruce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maybe I'll mention it to him in the summer. He's busy working on his inventory and website right now. He hasn't got the TBs done yet which I'm waiting for because I like to punish myself by waiting 4 years for things to bloom.

It is a nice looking iris, there's no reason it couldn't be introduced for its vigour if nothing else.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

Gil, i'm sure i've just seen that one somewhere (in a picture, not in person). It looks really familiar. I remember liking the pastel colours and wondering if i should get it for my granddaughter's garden. I'll keep my eyes open and maybe i'll see it again.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Been a long time since I have been on the site and even longer since I have posted. This one caught my eye. I too have many irises who are unidentified this year thanks to magpies and puppies pulling tags out. Probably a few I mixed up years ago. The iris in the first picture looks a lot like one I have called Lullaby Of Spring. It satrted blooming this year for the first time about 5 or 6 days ago. I think it is about 3 years old. It is a fairly tall plant and has about 3 blossoms on each stem. Many of my irises are blooming for the first time this year and I have well over 350, 2 years old and older. Lost a lot this year thanks to all the moisture.:(

• northspruce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks but that isn't it. Mine has tiny burgundy stripes at the top edges of the falls. It's also similar in colours to Easter Lace but the colours are paler.

Anyway Chuck seemed to think it's a seedling so it officially has no name.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

This is Lullaby Of Spring taken today June 6 2011

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County