Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lupins, my new favourite

Posted by Leandra7 z3a in GP, AB (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 21:15

What a lovely surprise these are. Bought our place last fall, so enjoying all the discoveries. Any hints to keeping them up? I've read they are short-lived.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lupins, my new favourite

I think you can get a little more out of them if you dead head throughout the season. They are beautiful!!!!!

o

Love the different colours! I have blue ones and yellow ones but would love to have pink.

o

Those are beauties! You can stake them, or for patches put stakes throughout them and make a mesh of twine. I do that for delphs and it sort of works.

They are somewhat short-lived but with a patch that size if you let them go to seed there will always be more volunteers.

o

They self seed freely which means you don't really need to worry about losing them but they also spread quickly so dead head if you want to keep them contained I pulled out 20 seedlings this year, thought I had cut off all the seed heads last year

o

Thx for the tips, fun to be absorbing all that beauty.

o

They look fantastic! Beware the evil aphids (what killed my love of lupines).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here