Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanlinetracey

A couple pics of roses

TanlineTracey
9 years ago

This year I bought a few hybrid teas to make more interest in my yard. The Granada has a wonderful scent! The black Baccarat is unscented but very unique with its very dark color

Comments (50)

• TanlineTracey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Granada

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Beauties! I love HTs even though I don't have many any more.

• wayne
    9 years ago

First rose blooms, Morden Blush planted this spring and Marie Bugnet planted last spring

• wayne
    9 years ago

Marie Bugnet

• TanlineTracey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I planted two morden blush last yr. the one with less sun is filled with buds, hasn't opened yet. The one in full sun is about half the size and no buds yet. I'm looking forward to the blooms, Wayne yours is lovely

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Nice photos all! I have only had a few blooms and cut them for the table immediately. I anxiously await next year....

SCG

• wayne
    9 years ago

Next year SCG, I hope summers not over, LOL. Roseraie de l' Hay blooming soon, John Cabot and many others coming on fast. Some warmer temps also, have been getting a good amount of rain.

This post was edited by wayne61 on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 10:34

9 years ago

Lol yeah next year. I put 35 bare roots in this spring, I don't expect to see blooms on them all this year and they will actually look like rose bushes :)

I do have buds on quite a few, my John Davis is about to explode.

SCG

9 years ago

Thought I would revive this thread with a couple new photo's.

Morden Blush

Gruss an Aachen

Penelope

{{gwi:298210}}

Mordem Sunrise for those didn't come back

Here is to summer and the rain going away for the stubble jumpers.

SCG

• wayne
    9 years ago

This flush on Morden Blush is a lot nicer and more typical than the first pic that I posted I think.

• Leandra7
    9 years ago

Oh. My. Lovely photos. You're ALMOST tempting me.

• rosecavalier
    9 years ago

Winner in my yard...Fruhlingsduft

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Wow, love the colour blend on that Fruhlingsduft!

9 years ago

I love the pink in your wayne. Mine is pure white this flush.

Nice rose cavalier....i want one! By chance do you remember where you got it?

I had to go out and snap a few with my iPhone. I can't help it!

While I can't get the multi bloom shots I am extremely excited my 'Great Maidens Blush' is showing a few blooms in the first year.

'Rose de Rescht'

'Easy does it'

'Reine de Violettes'

Geez you can tell they were with my iPhone... I will try and get out and get better ones after work

Have a great day.

SCG

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Is your GMB more pink in person, SCG? Mine's a lot pinker...

Anyway I have a great bloom on Double Delight right now!

9 years ago

First flush so I can't hold it to color but yeah, mine is pure white.

SCG

• northspruce
    9 years ago

It looks suspiciously like my Suaveolens! Especially the foliage and the heart-shaped petals.

Anyway, IF it's a mislabel, and if it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty excited about my Suaveolens' performance so far...

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Oh and that Rose de Rescht is fantastic! It looks like a bouquet!

• ostrich
    9 years ago

Oh my! Northspruce, you have my favourite rose that I cannot have here - Double Delight!!! Yours is BEAUTIFUL! How did you manage to grow it in your area!? I so wanted one, but I am sure that it will be a waste of money for me to try to grow it in Calgary.... SIGH!

All of these lovely pictures from y'all are making me salivate....!!!

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Thanks Ostrich, actually I've had DD for over 10 years including taking it when I moved. I cover it with leaves in the winter and it dies back to the ground.

9 years ago

North I have a feeling you may be right. I was wondering as well, now that you mention the foliage I think I need to contact the vendor. I will do some research to be certain.

Love the DD. I purchased one that 'over wintered' and was on sale. I looked great leafed out until I put it in the ground and it sat dormant for 2 months. Just a couple days ago it started pushing new growth.

Yeah Rose de Rescht is and cute little ball. I had very high hopes for this rose and so far it looks like it isn't going to let me down.

Ostrich I suggest you try it! If anything it could be an expensive annual !!! LOL

• don555
    9 years ago

Not sure what variety most of these are. The last one is Morden Centennial. The first two are some kind of rose with "cup" flowers... is that an old garden rose? The remainder are all hybrid teas of one sort or another. Most have been growing for probably ten years or more and I can't recall their names anymore...

• wayne
    9 years ago

Morden Fireglow, the light is playing tricks with the color and Lady Elsie May which was planted this spring.

• wayne
    9 years ago

Lady Elsie May

• TanlineTracey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

William Baffin planted last year. And my first sunflower to bloom this summer

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Don, your "cups" have a good chance to be David Austins. You've got a Peace in there and a probable Sunsprite.

Great roses everyone!

• ostrich
    9 years ago

don, it is absolutely amazing that you can grow all of these gorgeous hybrid tea roses in our zone! I have yet to acquire that green thumb for roses!!!

TanlineTracey, that William Baffin is very lovely indeed! So lush and healthy. How big was it last year when you planted it?

Thank you everyone for the eye candy pics!!!

• TanlineTracey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the Persion yellow rose that I do not like very much, I've had it for about 5 yrs and this is the most blooms ever on this one Cain wonder. Blooms on old yucky wood for about a week and that's all. :( oh well

9 years ago

Lovely pics all. Don't have time to comment individually so will try later if I remember.

SCG

• wayne
    9 years ago

I really like the variety of roses that everyone is growing. Tracey your Persian yellow looks very healthy, I am trying to get one established from being budded to growing on it's own roots, this second attempt has black spot and so did the first. The first one was setting flower buds in the fall but it was to late, the canes looked good coming out of winter but the root stock failed.

9 years ago

I can't resist.

'Felicia'

'Mont Blanc' first bloom

'Skyrocket'

'Reine de Violettes' another bouquet

'Morden Sunrise'

and 'Easy does it' a fitting end lol

Keep them coming folks love seeing them all!

SCG

• ostrich
    9 years ago

SCG - great roses!!! I cannot believe that you're a gardening "newbie"!? NO WAY! You also must have some great property too - oh, and I love the way that you have put stones around the Morden Sunrise. That is just gorgeous!

9 years ago

Thanks for the compliments.. Yeah I only went 'into the ground' last year for flowers etc. Usually had a veggie garden but first time for flowers and roses.

I am fortunate to have nearly 6 acres of land.....which scares me because I love my plants but I figure by the time I am happy I will be too old to care for it all!!!

One day I hope to build a house on this spot....such a warm micro climate compared to areas around...

SCG

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

What are you living in now??? LOL

9 years ago

Since I am redneck I live in a trailer. For the sensitive type I am in a modular.

My 'shop' is what I purchased the place with. A 1966 mobile home that didn't have a working furnace. I lived in that for a few years till upgrading.

I have 700 sq ft of living area, 1100 in gardens (and growing) and 16,000 in lawn. I bet you can tell we sit on the deck lots.

I'd love a nice house but I can't afford it and my location. So location it is. Yay!!

SCG

9 years ago

My son is in the same situation with the "modular" home on a large piece of property. And i have friends who cut probably that much grass - i think they're nuts! LOL

Funny how you have more gardens than living area!

• TanlineTracey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I bought two Champlains this year and I'm so happy with them. Definetly have continuously bloomed, and tons. Next yr I need another and one for my mom cause she likes red.

9 years ago

My Champlain is really red this year as well. I find that no matter how well it gets protected for the winter, it has a lot of dieback, but it always rebounds in the summer.

• TanlineTracey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Emily Carr. She's about 5 yrs old. Only blooms once for me but very pretty red and this rose is very hardy. Caterpillars ate it down to nothing last yr and it grew back and bloomed and is now bigger this year. Because of the lack of blooms and she's very thorny I've thought of getting rid of her but her hardiness and color allows her to stay

• northspruce
    9 years ago

My Champlain is very red this year too! It doesn't die back but it has never grown very big for me, maybe that's why it doesn't die back because it's under the snow. Mine is on its own roots... maybe it would be more vigorous on a graft.

9 years ago

I don't know if mine is own-root or not - i don't remember where i got it from. It gets a lot of snow cover too and i used to heap leaves around it as well. Never seems to make any difference. Not going to worry about it, though - as long as it comes back and blooms every year!

• TanlineTracey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

K I've got powder mildew on some plants! Not happy. Two tea roses in pots especially and the one Champlain. Last night I tryed a little tea tree oil on the Tropicana. We will see what happens ....

• giraffe
    9 years ago

Thanks all for the lovely pics.......... :-)

• northspruce
    9 years ago

John Davis is blooming his little butt of right now

And Blue Girl is sort of a cheesy old hybrid tea but it does so well for me with complete neglect beside the back lane.

9 years ago

Nice pics! I am still disgusted by the deer. I have nothing, I mean nothing, on that side of the yard.

Keep em coming love to see yours

SCG

• wayne
    9 years ago

Roseria de L' Hay has been flowering one stem at a time but is picking up steam

• wayne
    9 years ago

Double Knockout all new growth, planted last year

• ostrich
    9 years ago

Finally, my Morden Belle is blooming! Sigh.... last winter was just too tough for this poor lady. Thank goodness she has finally redeemed herself!

Wayne, your Double Knockout is lovely! I didn't realize that it would survive in our climate. Did you protect it at all? It looks like it's in a pretty open, unprotected location too. Maybe I should try it again (I used to have a stunning Double Knockout hedge when I was in zone 5).

• wayne
    9 years ago

It is open to the North/West winds that blow through here, they were covered in snow by late December but saw some nasty cold before that. Morden Sunrise did not survive there but Campfire is doing good, it wants to sprawl. Hopefully it will also become more upright.