Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuzariprincess

recommendations for a cutting garden

kuzariprincess
15 years ago

Hi, I am looking for recommendations for a cutting garden including annuals and perennials.

What do you suggest?

Comments (11)

• Pudge 2b
    15 years ago

Oh, I can help you out on this. These are a few of what I like to use for perennials: Leopard's Bane, Peonies, Lilies, Lady's Mantle, Sweet William, Glads, Delphinium, tall Sedum, Campanula, Painted Daisy, Liatris, Hosta leaves, Bergenia leaves

Annuals need to be the taller varieties, Rocket Snapdragons are awesome and great pretty much any time in our climate. Benary's Giant Zinnias, Sunflowers (Pro Cuts are best, IMO), Clarkia, Larkspur, Red Velvet Amaranthus, Godetia, Carnations, Euphorbia marginata, Agrostemma, Baby's Breath, Rudbeckia

Here's a link that includes more for the list, as well as when the best time is to cut them and how long they persist in the vase

Here is a link that might be useful: more cut flowers

• Happy2BeeME
    15 years ago

I like:
    Monarda
    Coneflower
    roses
    daisy
    yarrow
    goldenrod
    fern
    hosta
    iris

And of course any of the wild meadow flowers...

Karyn

• canadian_rose
    15 years ago

Leopard's Bane - spring blooming - stems are kind of thin
    Painted Daisy - spring blooming - great for cutting
    Coneflowers - wonderful
    Roses - of course!
    catmint - looks fantastic in rose bouquets!!
    Icelandic poppies
    Scabosias - lovely color in bouquet
    Phlox

Carol

• ginger57
    15 years ago

definately cosmos and sweet peas as well as the many other wonderful recommendations

• xtreme_gardener
    15 years ago

Silene armeria rubra (aka: Silene Electra or Catchfly) really stand out for me. It's a really nice filler, colorful, strong stems and seem to last well. Just beware of its rather vigorous self seeding habit. I also used some Cushion Spurge in an arrangement this spring and it was colorful and longlasting.

If I may humbly add to the request...what are your favorite plants for foiliage in arrangments? I used some Lovage leaves this spring too that were lush looking, long stemmed and lasted well. And I like using bleeding heart leaves as well.

• Happy2BeeME
    15 years ago

I'm not sure what this foiliage is called but I love it in with my roses. The white and green leaves are so light colored. Someone around here calls it snow on the mountain but I don't think that's what it is.

I also like the smaller hosta leaves.

Karyn

• Flowerhen
    15 years ago

HI Karyn. That is Bishops Weed. I have a ton of it here in Maine. It spreads ALOT,,and some people dislike it because of its aggresive spreading habit. I think it is nice. I just divide mine and move it around from one garden to another.

• Happy2BeeME
    15 years ago

ctufts,

Thanks for the info. I do find it spreads when planted in the sun but not in the shade. Mine hasn't spread all that much yet. I love it.

Thanks again.

KAryn

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

I use salvia spikes in my arrangements, not that I have them in the house to often. I also like to use hosta leaves, Catanache/Cupids Dart, roses, lilies, lady's mantle,coreopsis & helenium. Marg

• spartangardener
    15 years ago

Sweet william
    lady's mantle
    feverfew
    lilies
    cilantro (flowers for filler)
    dill (flowers for filler)
    anise (flowers for filler)
    roses
    dahlias
    amaranth (the type with fountain-type blossoms - eg palace purple)
    sweet annie (for filler)
    daisies
    echinacea
    rudbeckia
    long-spurred columbine
    daffodils
    tulips
    cosmos
    zinnias
    peonies
    salvia
    hosta
    irises
    phlox paniculata
    yarrow
    baptisia
    lupines
    lilacs
    annabelle hydrangea
    New England asters
    mums
    sweet peas

• kuzariprincess
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What a wonderful list spartangardener. Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions.