Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recommendations for a cutting garden

Posted by kuzariprincess 3A (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 08 at 21:41

Hi, I am looking for recommendations for a cutting garden including annuals and perennials.

What do you suggest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recommendations for a cutting garden

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 08 at 23:03

Oh, I can help you out on this. These are a few of what I like to use for perennials: Leopard's Bane, Peonies, Lilies, Lady's Mantle, Sweet William, Glads, Delphinium, tall Sedum, Campanula, Painted Daisy, Liatris, Hosta leaves, Bergenia leaves

Annuals need to be the taller varieties, Rocket Snapdragons are awesome and great pretty much any time in our climate. Benary's Giant Zinnias, Sunflowers (Pro Cuts are best, IMO), Clarkia, Larkspur, Red Velvet Amaranthus, Godetia, Carnations, Euphorbia marginata, Agrostemma, Baby's Breath, Rudbeckia

Here's a link that includes more for the list, as well as when the best time is to cut them and how long they persist in the vase

Here is a link that might be useful: more cut flowers

o

I like:
Monarda
Coneflower
roses
daisy
yarrow
goldenrod
fern
hosta
iris

And of course any of the wild meadow flowers...

Karyn

o

Leopard's Bane - spring blooming - stems are kind of thin
Painted Daisy - spring blooming - great for cutting
Coneflowers - wonderful
Roses - of course!
catmint - looks fantastic in rose bouquets!!
Icelandic poppies
Scabosias - lovely color in bouquet
Phlox

Carol

o

definately cosmos and sweet peas as well as the many other wonderful recommendations

o

Silene armeria rubra (aka: Silene Electra or Catchfly) really stand out for me. It's a really nice filler, colorful, strong stems and seem to last well. Just beware of its rather vigorous self seeding habit. I also used some Cushion Spurge in an arrangement this spring and it was colorful and longlasting.

If I may humbly add to the request...what are your favorite plants for foiliage in arrangments? I used some Lovage leaves this spring too that were lush looking, long stemmed and lasted well. And I like using bleeding heart leaves as well.

o

I'm not sure what this foiliage is called but I love it in with my roses. The white and green leaves are so light colored. Someone around here calls it snow on the mountain but I don't think that's what it is.

Photobucket

I also like the smaller hosta leaves.

Karyn

o

HI Karyn. That is Bishops Weed. I have a ton of it here in Maine. It spreads ALOT,,and some people dislike it because of its aggresive spreading habit. I think it is nice. I just divide mine and move it around from one garden to another.

o

ctufts,

Thanks for the info. I do find it spreads when planted in the sun but not in the shade. Mine hasn't spread all that much yet. I love it.

Thanks again.

KAryn

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 11, 08 at 11:52

I use salvia spikes in my arrangements, not that I have them in the house to often. I also like to use hosta leaves, Catanache/Cupids Dart, roses, lilies, lady's mantle,coreopsis & helenium. Marg

o

Sweet william
lady's mantle
feverfew
lilies
cilantro (flowers for filler)
dill (flowers for filler)
anise (flowers for filler)
roses
dahlias
amaranth (the type with fountain-type blossoms - eg palace purple)
sweet annie (for filler)
daisies
echinacea
rudbeckia
long-spurred columbine
daffodils
tulips
cosmos
zinnias
peonies
salvia
hosta
irises
phlox paniculata
yarrow
baptisia
lupines
lilacs
annabelle hydrangea
New England asters
mums
sweet peas

o

What a wonderful list spartangardener. Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here