Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Arched trellis

Okay I need help in deciding what to put on the arched trellis I want to build to the entry to my back yard. The trellis will be in-between the shepherds pole hanging baskets. Initially I was thinking climbing rose, then I thought of clematis and now I am back on the idea of roses as I seen a beautiful John cabot rose covered one in town the other day.

For color the hydrangea is the back by my shop is an endless summer original I am trying to turn the blooms blue, on the corner of the shop is a jackmanii superba (still needs its own support system) and a Morden sunrise rose. Closest to the deck is a Bella Anna Hydrangea. I haven't decided the color of the walkway stones but that is neither here nor there right now.

What would you do if it was you? Have fun with this one as I am open to any ideas.

TIA

SCG

Comments (18)

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    10 years ago

Well, decisions, decisions!!! It`s a tough pick between clematis, honeysuckle and roses. I guess I would first consider what colour would complement buildings, other plants nearby. Then my next criteria is always length of bloom - for me - season long is a sure bet and also do I want to attract hummingbirds, butterflies. My John Cabot is still quite small and takes a big break between bloom periods. Dropmore scarlet honeysuckle has a long bloom period and I like the brightness of the orangey blossoms. There are several clematis that will bloom all summer and look absolutely stunning whether you go with red, purple, light blue - it`s a tough decision - you just have to decide which one you want to see every day and smile about!!!!

• nutsaboutflowers
    10 years ago

Are you able to grow Wisteria where you are? So many of us here can't, and I for one would love to see a picture of an arched trellis full of wisteria :)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ohhhhh dang..... Wisteria...... Apparently it will grow here and I think my dad has an unkept one at the bottom of his place. I knew something good would come of this.

Thanks all. I don't plant on a design. I buy on a whim then find a spot it 'might' look good.

SCG

• nutsaboutflowers
    10 years ago

Well, if you end up with Wisteria, you can thank me for my suggestion by building me an arched trellis also :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Nuts,

If I could cross the border with it all I would bring you materials for a trellis...If the Wisteria works out I would bring you a root chunk to try... unfortunately I would probably be seen as a terrorist entering with such goods and the tax would be horrific......yet if you need we can find a way :)

SCG

Original Author
    10 years ago

Nuts I think you nailed it....can't sleep thinking about it....ohh wisteria!!!! lol and to think I gave up on the john cabot due to it's ability to hook ya...the alex mackenzie is close....errrr..... I hate waiting to see if they have one or will order me one....

Rainy days and lack of work cause me to contemplate, thus you all suffer LOL....

say ... Wisteria twice, fast...lol

SCG

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    10 years ago

Oh dear. That ol' sun better start shinin' very soon, Lance or I shall have to start showing pictures of my irises! Of course they can't climb your trellis but you can plant them on either side. Lol!

Terry has a beautiful wisteria growing NW of Edmonton. I think there is a picture of it somewhere on this site. :)

Ginny

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

Do they check for terrorists at the BC/Alberta border? Things are worse than I thought! LOL I didn't make any suggestions, but i'd love an arched trellis too. Now, where would I put one? Hmmmm......

Original Author
    10 years ago

Marcia,

I wish they checked there or at least put a toll up. We get absolutely over run and with a long weekend coming up....yikes.

Ginny,

I would love to see a picture of his wisteria. I am going to go check my dads place to see if it is what he has. Although it may not be alive as it has been a decade since I was down on that part..... Yeah we need sun badly.

SCG

• nutsaboutflowers
    10 years ago

The thread is called:

Wisteria in Zone 3-4

• User
    10 years ago

I would love a wisteria but I would think zone 2 would be pushing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisteria thread

Original Author
    10 years ago

Nuts, thanks for the info.

Cindy, I feel so bad for you that if you bought the wisteria I will look after it for you. I will do what ever it takes to make room. Even if I have to move my prized rosé bush. Let me know soon as it may take a week to prepare for yours.

SCG

• User
    10 years ago

Thank you thank you SCG for growing one for me.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Cindy anytime I look forward to its arrival in the mail from you.

• User
    10 years ago

Thanks but I found a link to grow wisteria as a tree in a container. If that does not work I will ship it too you.

Original Author
    10 years ago

ugg......no wisteria at the local nurseries. I have an order in at the largest one and they figure it will be late august or possibly spring.........I am still shaking...... this is the first time in over a year I left the nurseries without a plant........ but ohhhh Emily Carr screamed at me. Winnipeg parks was yelling too but a little more muted.

SCG

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    10 years ago

Winnipeg Parks reached out and grabbed me about 3 years ago!!!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice roses Shilla! Now I am thinking I must take some trees down to have more roses....I barely get 6 hrs of sun anywhere in my yard :-(

SCG

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus