Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sengyan

Calling all Lapins cherry growers

sengyan
16 years ago

I planted a Lapins cherry at the beginning of May/07. I know that there are quite a few lapins cherry growers in Edmonton and region. I have a suggestion that we contact each other and share experiences and ideas either through e-mail or by posting in this forum. Please post a reply to this post so we will a list of Lapins cherry growers.

Hear from you all soon.

Sengyan

Comments (23)

• april9
    16 years ago

Hi Sengyan,

I got a Lapins cherry tree at the end of April. So far it just sit there in the spot I planted it. Nothing was growing. I had to replant it 2 weeks later because I didn't plant it deep enough. I have to shake off all the soil came with the pot because it had a very bad odor and it likes moldy(white patches).

april9

• sengyan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi April, Good of you to post. Did the replanting affect the plant? Is it leafing? I am interested to know what the results are. Where are all the other growers? Okay ladies and gents lets hear from all of you. Konrad where are you?

Sengyan

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

Hello all!
    Lately, I'm very busy and have a hard time to post.

April....
    Not sure if I remember right??...Is it you, who got a Honey Crisp Apple some
    years ago, if so, how is it working out?
    Where did you guys purchased the Lapins, I have seen some at Canadian Tire.

Sengyan
    Did any of the sweet cherry scions take, you got from me?

My Lapin is doing fine, I think it's the 3rd. season, no freeze back, not sure
    if we will ever pick a hand full.
    What I found out, [more on other sweet cherries] the wood might not freeze back,......but the flower butts will suffer allot, enough, so that the butt is actually dead!
    Konrad

• alcan_nw
    16 years ago

Konrad, You think Lapins has hardier blossoms, correct?
    Sweet cherries vary quite a bit in blossom timing enough that you might want to try finding varieties to graft that are not still protected by patents like the later blooming 'Black Gold' is later blooming but protected   (IE WSU Bloom Data Cherry 2004).

I'll give 'Lapins' a shot in Alaska if I can't get later blooming, and I think all you in Edmonton are incredibly lucky that for some reason don't have problems like these on the other forum that are actually bacterial related; Â Â cherry tree bark/insect damage

Though, Are you Lapins growers in Edmonton sure your trees never die...

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

>>Konrad, You think Lapins has hardier blossoms, correct? Not sure, it's I have more other verities growing and experience, I'm pretty sure, it will include Lapins too.

>>you might want to try finding varieties to graft that are not still protected by patents like the later bloomingI don't think this has anything to do with Winter damage.

Konrad

• april9
    16 years ago

Hi,

I got my Lapins from Kuhlmans. My lapins didn't leaf out or grown a bite. It just sits there. I have my finger crossed on that tree. I think after two plantings it really affects the chance for it to survival.

I got my Honey Crisp apple tree from Sprout Farm about 2001. I got it as a one year old whip. It had only a few apples until last year and I harvested 24 apples from it. The fruit was juicy and crispy. The biggest one was 12oz. After i ate all my Honey Crisp, I also bought a few pounds of the same apples at Save-On-Food at $1.99 lb. Nothing can pair with my own home grown apples.

Honey Crisp is one of the best tasting apple I tried in Edmonton. The tree is very hardy in my yard(the front of the house is a man-made lake and the backyard is open field, The only thing I can tell you is it is windy). It has no winter kill at all.

Konrad,

Do you remember to give away some mislabeled apple scions woods in Devonian Garden in April and tell us to practice grafting at home. Almost everyone takes! The only one didn't make it was the Lapins cherry. I just want to say THANK YOU for your encouragement.

April

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

Thank you April!
    Hopefully, your Lapins will be fine, the first year it basically just sits there.

I figured, Honeycrisp will be doing fine in Edmonton,....[good for you!] I have also bought one from Sprout Farm, about 5 years ago, so far I have no luck growing it out on the acreage, ..constantly freeze back!

>>Do you remember to give away some mislabeled apple scions woods in Devonian Garden in April and tell us to practice grafting at home. Almost everyone takes! The only one didn't make it was the Lapins cherryGood!
    I find, taking scion fresh from the tree and graft the same day works best.

Konrad

• sengyan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Konrad. Sorry for not replying to your enquiries earlier. I was unable to login to post for more than a week. I have good news about the grafts. With the sweet cherries 4 Lapins and 2 Stella have taken. For the plums I now have 2 purple and 4 green. The rest still have swollen buds. They look like they might still sprout.

April.. How is your Lapins doing? Mine is not doing well. It was hit by hailstones soon after it was planted and most of the new growth were striped and the buds damaged. I hope it make it through this winter, but I reservations.

I am very disappointed that other Lapins growers did not write in to share their experiences and ideas.

Sengyan

• rob8t_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

Hi Sengyan, all

My lapins, which is now going into its 4th year, produced less than 10 eatable cherries. Unfortunately half of the cherries fell off the tree very early in the season when their still green. You can tell early on which ones are going to make it and which ones wont.

The size of the cherries is a bit of a concern too. Although their larger and firmer than my Evans and they tasted exceptionally sweet, they were about half the size of a full grown big lapin. I attribute this to the slow start they got with our cool spring - but who knows for sure.

I have got to prune this tree...I think I'll wait for the spring. The one thing I am pleased with is how fast its growing.

There is my 2 cents.

• franktank232
    16 years ago

Can Lapins pollinate other cherries, such as a Kristin? Interesting that you guys are growing them in your zone. I plan on putting one in here in zone 5 (borderline). Coldest winter since 2000 here was that year, -24F, even though i don't think that means much compared to a late April freeze!

• tom4a
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm interested to know how you prepair you cherry trees for winter up north, or do you just leave it up to chance.

franktank, the lapins is suposed to be a very good pollinator for all other types of sweet cherrys

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

Hi Tom
    Yes, I leave them alone, there are 3 crucial factors for over wintering tender plants.
    First, a dry fall, so the new wood can harden off!....It seems we have passed step one with flying colors,
    it has been very dry for about a month.
    Step 2, good snow cover, to prevent freezing all the way to the ground!
    Well..you can help by mulching in.....I don't.
    Step 3, a Winter without too many minus 40 deg. Celsius temperature.
    And a bit of luck!
    Konrad

• tom4a
    16 years ago

Konrad thanks for the input. I'm not doing to well here with the dry fall, we've had rain and lots of it, the trees look like there hardening but we have some time here before we get real hard frost, and I have mulched heavily and wrapped them. Hopefully it will dry up here now for awhile and if not there is always the luck thing!
    tom

• gardenqn_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I have a Dwarf Black Gold Lapins tree....approx. 8yrs old it has been a great fruit producing tree; buckets and buckets full. However this Spring when the buds opened there were no flowers inside at all. The branches are full of opened buds with no flowers. Leaves look healthy and over all tree looks great.
    Anyone happen to know whats up or what I need to do?
    Thanks for your help.
    Sunny

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    15 years ago

Sunny, maybe you had received an unusually bitter winter cold snap that might have damaged the flower buds?

Terry

• rtosto_telusplanet_net
    15 years ago

How did other Edmontonians Lapins do this (2008) spring? That cold snap sure put ours to the test...I anxiously awaited and sure enough she was just fine.

However, this year something strange, it didnt bloom until mid-June! Thats 3 some weeks later than the last 3 years. Probably due to that cold snap and so-so spring. Anyways I'm just glad its alive and well.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone else?

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

Well....your's at least bloomed, did it set fruit??. The City of Edmonton is usually around 5 degree C warmer in a cold snap.
    Here in Beaumont it was around minus 43 C. The International Airport was minus 45, out on the acreage where I have some
    trees, I'm pretty sure it was around 45 too or colder, because I'm in a low spot.
    The trees survived, but all flower butts where damaged and never had a chance to open....it was expected.
    Konrad

• robtos
    15 years ago

No fruit...too bad, first time since 2004 I think. The card on the tree said hardy to -35, it definitely got colder this year.

I'm writing this from my Westbank hotel on vacation...tomorrow local U-picks open for Lapins looking to load up. Drove by field after field of cherry trees full with fruit...what we slave for happens so so easy here!

Cheers

• crudman57_verizon_net
    13 years ago

Hi All:

I live in zone 6, where Lapins seems to do quite well so far. Mine are entering their 2nd year at my home. I bought 12 of them and all but 1 are thriving. I did not buy them as eating cherries, but for attracting birds so small yields are not much of a concern for me. In fact many of them are in my front yard, so the fewer the cherries the better for my lawn.
    Anyway, I have a question for anyone out there. The story on the one tree that did not make it is that the main trunk of the tree appears to be either dead or dormant (I think because I pruned it too hard at perhaps the wrong time of year last year). Now there are many shoots coming out of the bottom of the tree. My question is: is this tree salavageable? Or should I dig it up and plant a new one?
    Thanks!
    Chris

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

It looks like the top graft never grew well from day one and died off, now
    you have the root stock come up.
    Since you don't care eating cherries I would live it alone, it would make
    it a wild cherry tree of smaller fruits, also good for birds or even better. It could also be a good pollinator for other cherries, see what come of it for about 5 years at least.. ..make final decision later. You might want to prune it into a single stem. It also would make it a good top grafting trees in about 2 years.

• powers3794_comcast_net
    12 years ago

hi i have a question. i live in zone 5 northern new england.im an amature gardener but love it, about 6 years ago i purchased a dwarf lapins cherry tree and aafter only 2 years it fruited and every year since ive recieved a huge amount of cherries too much to eat them all lol. but the tree grew 30 plus feet tall. so i cut down the top of the tree in spring of 2011 and split it up and replanted 5 new smaller trees with no root just as is and the buds have opened and flowered, does this mean the trees survived the transplant? they look good so far but have only been in the ground a month. its more of an experament for me. thank you for your time.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Most likely they will not make roots, sometimes after flowering you might get some leaves but soon after it's over.
    You can plant the cherry pits and graft onto these seedlings.

• HU-211562755
    2 years ago

I purchased a lapins in Jan. Received a stick 4 foot long bare roots. I have planted it three weeks a go in a half barrel with hopes to plant in yard. The tree has no buds, but when it arrived it had three or four buds. I am concerned, I looked at the roots and found some suckers on the roots. Do you think I will ever get buds on the stem (trunk)? Do you think the tree is dead?

Tom--Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

tvmasters@netlink.net

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm