Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sambucus racemosa(Sutherland gold elder

Posted by wash z4canada (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 21:57

I planted this in May of 2006 and it grew well until last year.
The new leaves begin as pale greenish yellow and then turn a vibrant yellow. After a few weeks they beging to wither and turn brown denuding the whole branch.
I pruned the old growth and this spring new growth was really great, and then suddenly the leaves are turning brown again.
Has anyone experienced this and if so is there a solution to this.
Thanks Wash

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sambucus racemosa(Sutherland gold elder

To me this sounds like verticillium wilt. This is a bad one! And unfortunately elder's are suceptible to it. It effects the vascular system of the tree and prevents it from taking up nutrients. It is soil-borne and lives in the soil for years, but there are quite a few plants that are resistant to it/somewhat immune. Some plants may have it and not show symptoms.

As far as what to do about it - if the shrub essentially "dies" every year and looks poor, you may just want to remove it. If pruning out all the dead stuff, watering well and fertilizing can revive it, you could do that. If it is VW, it is already in the soil, so removing the tree immediately won't save it from "spreading" or anything. Do destroy any wood you prune out of it though(burn, etc.)

If you do remove it, and want to replant something there, you could fumigate the soil where the elder was. I'm not sure that you could really do a complete enough job to get rid of it though, so it is probably best to just plant a resistant shrub. I attached a link with more info about VW, it also has a list of resistant plants.

Anyway, don't panic..it may not be VW. It'll have to be identified first before you take action.

Here is a link that might be useful: Verticillium Wilt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here