Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Well fine then, Winnipeg Parks!

northspruce
10 years ago

I thought all my roses survived our terrible winter, but I just noticed Winnipeg Parks is dead as a doornail.

I've got zone 6 and 7 roses thriving right next to it, and it's dead mere miles from its motherland of Winnipeg. Darn thing...

Comments (13)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Was it a Winnipeg or Winterpeg variety. I hear it makes a difference.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    10 years ago

haha!

So weird though, because it was old enough to be established (3 or 4 years?) and did well last year so there's no reason for it to die off. It's right next to Peace which should be one of my most tender roses but Peace is still alive.

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

I tried Winnipeg Parks twice; didn't overwinter in my yard so I picked other shrub roses to grow.

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

Kinda nice that "PEACE" is surviving.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, it's a relief to me because when my Grandma was alive she asked me to plant a Peace on her grave when she died. I pointed out that she had picked a plot with a towering spruce tree on it, in a cemetery that doesn't allow plantings. :S So I offered to always grow one in my garden in her memory and that made her happy. So if it dies I'm honour bound to replace it. LOL

The Wpg Parks was bought for me by the family that built my house to plant in memory of their mom. I don't know if I should buy a new one. It was never my first choice. Maybe I'll get her something else?

• weeper_11
    10 years ago

I think that would be perfectly fine to pick a different rose for her!

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

I agree with weeper. Probably be happier knowing there will be one that will survive and still in her memory.

SCG

• Laurie_z3_MB
    10 years ago

Oh, the irony!lol I agree, pick out a beautiful rose that you will love also to honour her memory. I'm sure they would understand.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I checked on Helpmefind.com and there is actually an Alba rose that contains her obscure Icelandic first name. And I collect Albas! Too bad it doesn't seem to be readily available in Canada. :(

• jetred
    10 years ago

It happens! No explanation why some live and some die. It just happens!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    10 years ago

Oh, that would be a perfect rose! Hopefully you can find a nursery that will ship to Canada.

• savona
    10 years ago

Why is it red roses seem to be the least hardy? I had a Ramblin Red rose (z3) planted beside a Marie Victorin(z4)..the ramblin red croaked after 2 years and the MV keeps on ticking. I planted a Winnipeg Parks last year and felt so smug that it came through the winter with almost no winter damage...guess I shouldnt celebrate yet.

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

Hope for Humanity is a dark red rose and is very hardy. We had a really bad winter about three years ago that killed just about ever clematis and rose in my garden...I bought another Hope for Humanity as replacement, and lo and behold, the old one came back!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz