Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well fine then, Winnipeg Parks!

Posted by northspruce z3a MB CDA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 22:38

I thought all my roses survived our terrible winter, but I just noticed Winnipeg Parks is dead as a doornail.

I've got zone 6 and 7 roses thriving right next to it, and it's dead mere miles from its motherland of Winnipeg. Darn thing...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well fine then, Winnipeg Parks!

Was it a Winnipeg or Winterpeg variety. I hear it makes a difference.

o

haha!

So weird though, because it was old enough to be established (3 or 4 years?) and did well last year so there's no reason for it to die off. It's right next to Peace which should be one of my most tender roses but Peace is still alive.

o

I tried Winnipeg Parks twice; didn't overwinter in my yard so I picked other shrub roses to grow.

o

Kinda nice that "PEACE" is surviving.

o

Yeah, it's a relief to me because when my Grandma was alive she asked me to plant a Peace on her grave when she died. I pointed out that she had picked a plot with a towering spruce tree on it, in a cemetery that doesn't allow plantings. :S So I offered to always grow one in my garden in her memory and that made her happy. So if it dies I'm honour bound to replace it. LOL

The Wpg Parks was bought for me by the family that built my house to plant in memory of their mom. I don't know if I should buy a new one. It was never my first choice. Maybe I'll get her something else?

o

I think that would be perfectly fine to pick a different rose for her!

o

I agree with weeper. Probably be happier knowing there will be one that will survive and still in her memory.

SCG

o

Oh, the irony!lol I agree, pick out a beautiful rose that you will love also to honour her memory. I'm sure they would understand.

o

I checked on Helpmefind.com and there is actually an Alba rose that contains her obscure Icelandic first name. And I collect Albas! Too bad it doesn't seem to be readily available in Canada. :(

o

It happens! No explanation why some live and some die. It just happens!

o

Oh, that would be a perfect rose! Hopefully you can find a nursery that will ship to Canada.

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 19:25

Why is it red roses seem to be the least hardy? I had a Ramblin Red rose (z3) planted beside a Marie Victorin(z4)..the ramblin red croaked after 2 years and the MV keeps on ticking. I planted a Winnipeg Parks last year and felt so smug that it came through the winter with almost no winter damage...guess I shouldnt celebrate yet.

o

Hope for Humanity is a dark red rose and is very hardy. We had a really bad winter about three years ago that killed just about ever clematis and rose in my garden...I bought another Hope for Humanity as replacement, and lo and behold, the old one came back!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here