Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

I live a boring life...

northspruce
14 years ago

This is the most exciting thing that has happened to me in years. 3 years ago I bought a bunch of TB irises from Chapmans and lost track of names in a move, and of the ones that survived, only one has ever bloomed until now. Today two of the mystery TBs have buds on them! I am so excited to see which they are! Yay! And several more are looking very healthy, like they might bloom this year or next year.

Comments (13)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    14 years ago

Coming from someone who has over 200 peonies that take three years to bloom, well over 200 irises, often two years to bloom and who just spent the past two days ringside at the dog show holding dogs, you live life in the fast lane! Most of my 200 some irises are blooming for the first time and I am finding out that 1) some are mis-named and 2) my dogs rearranged tags more than I thought! It's like a new litter of puppies, waiting for the coat color patterns when they are born. Still....I am having fun tracking them all down and taking pics! Pretty soon I will start naming them .....triple registered names! Peonies are looking good too!
    I could never be an accountant but I sure like surprises in the garden! Yay for you Northspruce!

Ginny

• sierra_z2b
    14 years ago

I have been checking my iris the last few days. Some have buds from purchases I made last year. I bought boysenberry buttercup this year and shortly after it bloomed in the greenhouse. It has a wonderful scent.

I remember you purchasing those iris Gil. Sorry to hear you lost some. I have seen all the ones I bought that year bloom now too. Yours were probably just set back because of your move. Post some pics when they bloom if you can.

I shovel pruned the rhein nixe that you sent me. LOL!!! They are everywhere, they are everywhere. haha I now have 2 brown or purple with yellow. One came from a friend and I bought bumblebee delight.

Jack visited this morning, I was running with sprinklers and blankets and getting small things back in the gh. lol. Someone tell him to go away!!!

Sierra

• northspruce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep two of mine have already been misnamed. I figured out what they actually are though. One of them I like far better than the one it was supposed to be. The problem with losing them was I had to plant them the first winter at my mom's house and they didn't like it there. I haven't lost any more since they came home. Irises like my soil here.

Ooh Sierra must you remind me about my Rhein Nixe gaffe? LOL I swear they switcherooed themselves as part of their plan to take over the world. BTW I currently have NO Rhein Nixes.

Still staring at closed TB buds... yeeee!

14 years ago

I finally figured out which one is the Unknown Soldier or Mystery Iris.....for now anyway. The tag beside it said Champagne Elegance. NOPE. But the real Champagne Elegance is now blooming right beside it. Another one that is supposed to be City of Stratford is NOT that. This one may be a little tougher to find as it may have been misnamed from the supplier. Who knows?

Ginny

• northspruce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One of my misnames was a freebie from Chapmans that was supposed to be Leprechaun's Purse, but when it bloomed it was one of their other freebie choices, Spirit Guide. It's nice. The other was from a friend, and the one that I got by mistake is the most beautiful dark purple, plain purple should be ho hum but it's just stunning.

The first TB that did bloom last year was Classic Suede. It was amazing. I can't wait to see what the others are.
    Classic Suede:

14 years ago

Classic Suede is on my order form from Chapman's this year if I ever get it out to him. Beautiful!!!! Keep the pictures coming!

Ginny

• sierra_z2b
    14 years ago

Hee hee hee,

Classic suade is a pretty one.

I ran out of room, so can't add anymore right now....at least that is what I am telling myself.....

Sierra

• savona
    14 years ago

Gil your Classic Suede is gorgeous. Your wait for your iris to bloom is worth it. Not many things in life can give you that excitement of seeing something bloom that hasnt yet. A garden can give you that excitement time after time, what is boring about that?..lol. Being a cook in the kitchen waiting for water to boil..now that is boring..hahaha.I will look forward to seeing your picture..Jean

• northspruce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Totally off topic, Ginny what kind of dogs do you breed?

14 years ago

I raise , breed and train Shetland Sheepdaogs but most of the time THEY think they are anything but "sheep" dogs. And always trying to help in the garden. The adults are great but the puppies are brats! :) Would you like one? I have a litter on the way.....

Ginny

• northspruce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aww so cute! I would LOOOOVE a new pup but I have 4 bassets and I'm only allowed 2 dogs here so I will have to pass. Take pictures though! :0)

14 years ago

Awwww! Hush puppies!
    I have a couple too many too but that wasn't the plan! Now I can't just tell my kids that some of them have to go! Good thing there is no limit on flowers!
    And how do you keep Bassets out of the garden? They are born to dig!LOL I put wire and x pens aroung my inner beds and the rest of the garden is fenced off. I am planning on a new iris bed INSIDE the yard this summer so the dogs can guard my plants. Last year I had more than a few stolen from the back beds! Specifically "chosen" ones! If they have to go through two gates and five large shelties to get them maybe I will keep my collection intact! Or I'll label them on a grid.

Ginny

• northspruce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My bassets don't dig but they trample like crazy and have also been known to eat columbines, peas, and fruit bushes. I have a big yard and 1/4 is fenced off for the dogs. The rest of the yard is for my gardens.

Ugh, I'm always scared of having plants stolen. I don't plant anything valuable along the front sidewalk.

Gillian

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations