Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

Shrub recommendations

There's an area in one of my beds where the plants are kind of overgrown and not looking very nice. The echinacea that was planted there seems to have disappeared as well. I've always wanted some height in that bed and am thinking that the area might be good for a shrub of some kind. The area faces north but has direct sun for most of the day. It's shaded at the back by some fully grown cedars. I have an as yet unplanted hydrangea but from what i've read about them, it wouldn't be a good spot for it. So, can anyone advise me on a nice shrub to plant there?

I'm partial to coloured leaves - silver, yellow, purple. A shrub that blooms would be nice and something scented would be a bonus. In my yard i already have two euonymous, a silver-leaf dogwood, a viburnum, and a purple-leaf sand cherry that doesn't do much. I already have a couple of lilacs and would rather have something different.

Your thoughts?

Comments (9)

• north53 Z2b MB
    14 years ago

Have you considered the Diablo Ninebark? My sister here has one and it is gorgeous. It has dark leaves and it flowers. I think there is a new one with copper leaves, but I don't know if it is as hardy.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    14 years ago

Probably any of the ninebarks would do well in that spot. Centre Glow and Coppertina are two of my favorites but I have five different ninebarks and I like all of them. They are hardy little guys too. Another one I really like is Elderberry Black Lace which flowers absolutely beautiful pink flowers. The leaves are very dark almost purpley black. Both ninebarks and elderberries have fnncy leaves too. And last but not least, my favorite dogwood, Ivory Halo, has verigated leaves and is also very tough. It will tolerate shade quite well :0)

Ginny

• northspruce
    14 years ago

Well I know they're used a lot but Spireas are always nice. I have some (S. japonica I think) that have red & yellow leaves and pink flowers.

Or there are some nice Potentillas around now, I have seen them with pretty orange & red flowers rather than the "ho-hum McDonalds drive-through" yellow.

(hmm I re-read your post and maybe these wouldn't give you enough height... but that's up to you)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do already have a Coppertina Ninebark - forgot to mention it. It came through the winter great, barely any tip kill and it's leafing out beautifully. I'll have to look up the Centre Glow to see what it looks like. The Black Lace elder is one that i've thought about as well. I have a Golden elder in back and i love it.

Gil, i'm not really crazy about Potentillas, but maybe all i've seen are the McDonald's variety. :) Will have to check on them as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Do you have enough sun for saskatoons or Nanking Cherries? I had both at our last place but not sure how much shade they tolerate.

Here is a link that might be useful: shrubs and trees

Original Author
    14 years ago

I do have two Nanking cherries as well. They're touch and go for producing, though. Some years we get a great crop, and some years there are so few we leave them for the baby robins. :) Saskatoons grow wild here. We have one at the edge of the bush line - it's quite tall, and the robins get those too.

I really like the look of the Centre Glow ninebark. It would go nicely in there, i think.

Thanks for all the recommendations and feel free to continue!

• maggiemuffin360
    14 years ago

Hi, Marcia.
    What about Mock Orange - meets two of your criteria - scented and blooms.
    I have 2 of them and they seem to adapt well to different environments. One gets sun for probably 3/4 of the day and the other is in dappled shade. Both doing great & are about 6' tall after 2 years...actually maybe three years :-).
    Margaret

Original Author
    14 years ago

I bought a mock orange this spring and haven't planted it yet. I want to put it closer to the house so that the scent can drift in. It may be a possibility, though, if i don't find anything else. Thanks, Margaret! Missed you this spring!

Original Author
    14 years ago

I had to stop at a nursery for a bit more potting soil after work today, so i thought i'd take a look around. They had a lot of the Black Lace elders, but they didn't quite take my fancy for that spot. As i was leaving, i spotted a single Centre Glow ninebark. Only one. Had to be for me, right? Must have been, because it leaped into my car and came home with me. :)

Thanks for all the recommendations!