Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_in_sask

Lots of tent caterpillars this year.

donna_in_sask
9 years ago

At least in my part of town...I noticed them crawling all over the garage wall and on the tree in the front yard. Eww. I read that infestations are cyclical...every ten years? How about other parts of the country?

Comments (15)

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

As long as they don't web in your vehicle you should be OK....lol, I've seen a picture somewhere, several years back of such a thing,....still lingering in my brain!
    Hopefully they go away soon,..haven't seen anything here.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    9 years ago

Nothing here in the city that I have seen but I hear they are bad north west of here. Yuck!!!

Ginny

• nutsaboutflowers
    9 years ago

I hate those things! I wish people would be diligent about banding their trees. Most people don't bother so we're left with a ton of the disgusting things.

I always end up cutting a branch or two with the webs on them, and dumping it into a bucket of hot soapy water. Just be careful not to look too closely. Yuck!

• northspruce
    9 years ago

I thought it was just me! I found a bunch on my crabapple tree and a few more here and there. Not the seething hordes we get some years, but quite a few.

• don555
    9 years ago

None to speak of near me. But a country drive this time of year usually reveals a few areas where the aspens have been stripped bare of leaves, and most areas where the aspens are in full leaf and not impacted.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

They're here too and just making it to our place - dh found one last night. But they aren't here in hordes like the last time we had them, and that was about 20 years ago. They decimated everything and crawled up the side of the house in search of cocooning places. I'm sure there are still some cocoons under the eaves in spots! We found out after it was over that they had crawled into the hoses of the barbecue and blocked them. There were jets of fire shooting out of the front of it when we lit it!

• beegood_gw
    9 years ago

Nothing here yet and sure hope there wont be. I think Northern Alberta had some last summer. Horrid things. Most birds won't even eat them.After the last long winter with no green trees we sure don't need a smmer with bare trees.

• beegood_gw
    9 years ago

Nothing here yet and sure hope there wont be. I think Northern Alberta had some last summer. Horrid things. Most birds won't even eat them.After the last long winter with no green trees we sure don't need a smmer with bare trees.

• Tessagirl
    9 years ago

A couple days ago I had clumps on 2 of my ash trees in 3 places. I was glad they were noticed since they were moving up the tree to feed on the leaves. There were hundreds of them! Gross!

• Collin001
    9 years ago

There are a lot of catapillars here. The driveway is getting black from the dung. Vehicles need to be washed every other day. It has always been like that unfortunately.

• Pudge 2b
    9 years ago

I have a Mayday shrub in the front yard that on Sunday I decided to prune ... then was horrified to find several nests of those worms inside the shrub. They did a fair bit of damage within the shrub, too. I pruned hard, lol. A little later I found a few more, a few on a young apple tree, some crawling around. I took a good look at the chokecherries in the back but didn't find any there.

• mctiggs
    9 years ago

They're all over the 'Peg. THANKS A LOT SASKATCHEWAN!! I hate those things. You can't leave an open beer unattended in the back yard without getting a mouthful of gritty worm crap on the next sip.

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

I'm getting nervous. I found 2 in the yard today, but can't see where they're coming from. I keep looking up to the trees, but can't spot any tents. It was only 2, but if they're in the yard, the mother lode must be near?

• TanlineTracey
    9 years ago

This is going in year #3 here north of grande prairie. Last year was by far the worst, they ate everything!! And were here for three weeks. Kids couldn't walk on the lawn, they surrounded the front door, up walls and eventually got in the kitchen. Needless to say I almost went crazy killing them. Hot boiling water killed the large clumps and horse fly repellant helped on the house. It was a daily job and I went through about $500 worth of different solutions. Dish soap helped too. Good luck!! I'm hoping this is the last year for them here.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

On Highway 43 there's very large areas of very severe defoliation beginning east of Glenevis and extending past Sangudo, the trees looked as if it was winter ... though, I am unsure if this is from tent caterpillars or another type of worm, as when tent caterpillars create such extreme defoliation, you'll see them crawling all over the highway, though none were to be seen. Won't be too many more years before these buggers spread east towards Edmonton :(