Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Angelique tulips

northspruce
12 years ago

Does anyone have those popular double pink 'Angelique' tulips? I planted several the fall before last and they came up last spring and were beautiful, but this year there's only one. I haven't had problems with any other tulips in that bed. Are they not hardy or something?

Comments (10)

• debbiecz3
    12 years ago

I grew them one year but found they pretty much petered out by the second so perhaps they are basically an annual for our climate. Beautiful though!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

Same here - got a couple first year and then nada.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good to know! I was wondering if it was something I did, guess not. My giant red & white ones from Costco - now, they are incredible!! Best tulips ever.

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

I've read that most fancy/novelty tulips will peter out after a year or two, so I've given up on them all together..too many other plants to spend money on!

I have some darwin hybrids, and one from the Impression series(apricot) and well as a mislabled hot red one that is pretty much the most amazing tulip ever. They come back stronger every year.

I planted Queen of the Night and Shirley this year. I'm not sure if they'll last more than a couple years or not?!

• northspruce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shirley does fine for me Weeper. The area I planted them in got sort of overgrown so they're not blooming anymore but they still grow. I should move them...

These are the Costco ones I planted two years ago, it was this mixed with the same in solid red. They are huge and look amazing!

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

That's one nice looking tulip =:)

Girls, I'm curious. Do you plant your tulips about 2" deeper than the instructions?

Botanus told me to do that in my climate, and everything came up. I'm really hoping they do next year, too. I just can't take any more gardening disappointments after the crappy weather we've been having the last couple years.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! NAF no I don't but I probably should. Tulip planting always seems such an effort for me, I don't feel like gardening anymore in the fall. These ones I probably did plant a little deeper but only because they were big bulbs.

• prairie_chick
    12 years ago

That's a beautiful tulip, Northspruce! I love the fringy edges.

Weeper, I haven't grown Shirley, but Queen of the Night was one that petered out for me. Perhaps if I'd planted it deeper...

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

Bah! I love Queen of the Nights velvety color. Oh well, hopefully I'll at least get 1 more year out of them.

I usually do planting depth by size of bulb - the bigger, the deeper. I planted some daffodils last fall at the recommended depth and they are only poking out NOW. I think they don't like being so deep when my soil is such heavy clay. But they were freebies so I'm not too terribly worried.

Northspruce, I don't feel like doing much gardening in the fall either. I pretty much need to get most of my planting done in spring because I get sick of the difficult part of gardening(like planting bulbs) by summer, LOL. Then I just want to weed, deadhead, and enjoy my flowers.

• gerry1
    12 years ago

Love the double Angeliques! Have several lovely clumps of double pink 'Angelique' tulips growing in my Regina area garden for at least ten years. Each spring I remind myself to plant more, come fall time seems to get away on me. This year they are on the top of my fall planting list - along with more daffodils.

For those of you in my zone you may want to try another pack or two, they are gorgeous!