Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Campfire Rose?

Posted by TanlineTracey none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 23:41

Has anyone grown the Canadian Artist rose "Camfire"? Looks amazing and hardy, a repeat bloomer. I've had Emily Carr since 08 then it basically died this yr. it was not a repeat bloomer, Campfire says to be. That's a major quality I look for. So any feed back would be awsome :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Campfire Rose?

I don't have any feedback on Campfire - I just wanted to comment on Emily Carr. That is very strange that you never had any repeat, for me she blooms almost steady all summer once she starts. Campfire does sound more hardy than Emily Carr - I have to pack my EC with straw in the winter to protect the lower 12 inches of cane. I cut it back to that size every spring anyway; it regrows quickly.

o

I don't know how Campfire does in the ground, but the many pots of Campfire that I have seen so far seem to have a rather floppy habit so the branches were kind of weak and arching... which I did not care for. I wonder if they really look that way once mature?

o

I just purchased Campfire this year so I have nothing to report till I watch her mature. Just a little baby yet. I'll try to remember to take notes. :)

Ginny

o

I'm not sure why the Emily only bloomed once for me, so pretty while it lasted. I was sad to see her this spring, I cut it back hard and it was actually starting to produce a few sprigs but the caterpillars ate them. I'm not gonna give up on it though as each year the blooms were becoming more stunning, just only once per summer. I think I'll look for a Campfire. Honalee please keep us updated, pic when blooming please :))

o

EC does very well for me, I had almost no dieback this year. There are buds already too. Yay.

As with all roses other than rugosas I plant them deep.

o

Campfire was only released commercially this year, so the only mature specimens will be in the trial and propagation beds.

It's normal for an own-root rose to be a flimsy stick the first couple of years. I don't know the habit of the mature canes of Campfire but it's likely that if it's not grafted, it will be skinny and floppy for a couple of years at least.

Emily Carr I can attest makes very robust, thick and upright canes. I bought her for my mom and she is a big, tall strong plant and repeats well.

o

I just planted Camp Fire the other day - she`s blooming and quite eyecatching. I hope it does well.

o

The colours are gorgeous. Is it fragrant?
Sengyan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here