Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis are the dumbest plants in the world

Posted by shazam_z3 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 23:42

So I've been patiently waiting for my four year old Purpea Plena Elegans clematis to come up for the past two months. Heck, my alpina's already bloomed and my Prairie Traveler's Joy is invading the neighbour's backyard. But nothing from the PPE. So today I decided to rip it out and replace it with a Hagley. I take my trusty loop hoe and start to clear the area. And then I move the rock that I've had in front of the PPE to keep the roots cool. I clear some more, and I hear a SNAP - the kind you hear when you break a clematis's brittle vines. Sure enough, I broke a shoot. And then I look closely - there were FOUR shoots coming up, but they were UNDER the rock! Luckily I didn't damage the others, but what the heck!?! Funny thing is the new growth is a good four inches from where it's been coming up previously!!

Ah well. No more rocks in front of that one!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis are the dumbest plants in the world

LOL shazam!!! Now you'd better go and get some more clematis.... LOL!

I have never really grown climbing things in my life - I just found that it's too much high maintenance for me - I don't like the mess they leave behind the trelis or whatever they climb on after the growing season! Maybe it's just me...

o
RE: Clematis are the dumbest plants in the world

I have one clematis (can't remember which one, of course) that has only come up a couple of inches for the last couple of years. The first year i had it, it was all over the trellis. Now there's this bare trellis sitting there and a tiny clematis sitting behind it. LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here