Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Infestation on Cranberry Bush ID

Posted by gerry1 2b Sk (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 08 at 0:12

Cranberry bush infested with aphids along with purple bugs with spots.One would think a bug that looks that unusual would be easy to identify - not! Can anyone ID this one - beneficial or another pest needing to be dealt with?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Infestation on Cranberry Bush ID

It looks like the larva stage of the Seven Spotted Ladybug - a beneficial insect. They will eat all the aphids you have! Marg

o

It looks like it might be a leaf hopper or a shield bug of some sort. Can you get a clearer photo?

o

Would that it was that 7 spotted ladybug! Thinking to beneficial as we found so many aphids and wondered if they were there for lunch. Having googled know it's none of the above.

It's not my Cranberry bush - will call and see if they can try for a clearer pic. Also am needing someone to add the photo. Maybe lessons in doing photos will happen - now that would be a plus!

It's really a weird looking bug - soft bodied, purple with distinct round pink spots. Have spent one lot of time googling, absolutely nothing that comes close. I think adult as there were some small larva as well with similar coloring. Definitely not an elephant!

Meanwhile open to any suggestions as to what it could possibly be.

o

I also am thinking it is a larvae of a lady bug...

There are all sorts of lady bugs and the larvae look slightly different in each kind.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/lady.html

About 1/2 way down in this site there is one that is very similar to yours.

Brenda

o

Seems googling didn't get me pics that looked to be the same - an entomolgist friend of mine just confirmed that it is indeed a lady bug nymph! How good is that! Thank you for your help. Pics I had been looking at just didn't look at all the same - but seeing as we are talking nymph stage ... a whole new ball game. Beneficial - now that is good news!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here