Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmacdona1

Box of Seeds 2011

hmacdona1
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have been hanging on to the box of seeds and plan to get it back into circulation again this fall. I am about to head on vacation until mid August, so I thought it might be timely to start up this thread again to get people thinking about joining in the fun. Time to start collecting seeds to join us. I'm already starting to collect some seeds for our famous box.

For those who have not joined in this before, the box circulates to each person on the list. When you receive the box, you look through it and take what seeds you would like and then replace those seeds with the same number of seeds packages from your collection. Sometimes the seeds are individually packaged and sometimes the seeds are put in the box in bulk--ie:in baggies or large envelopes that people can then take a few out and then close up the baggie again.

If you take ten packets of seeds you must then replace with ten new packets of seeds---of course extras are always welcome--just mark the packages as *bonus seeds*

Please be sure to only add seeds in the box that you would be happy to receive yourself (ie not 10 year old seeds..LOL)

If you're interested in joining in this box of seeds exchange, please post here, so everyone knows who is joining. I would also appreciate if you could send me a separate email or gw message to let me know, as I don't check the forum very often and the gardenweb messaging system for new posts is not working. In otherwords, I no longer get notified of new messages on posts that I have started.

I hope we get lots of people participating as that will mean even more variety of seeds to go around.

Thanks.....Heather

Comments (49)

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Surely there has to be someone else out there that wants to participate in the circulation of this seed box. I'm going to be doing a fair bit of travel on business in September and would like to get this underway by then.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I wouldn't mind getting it again. Post here if you don't get my PM from the site.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Northspruce, I haven't received a pm from you.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Argh! Gardenweb won't let me update my email address and the PM system doesn't work without a working email. Can you drop me an email at groundskeeperjilly@gmail.com ?

Thanks...

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

I'll take a look at it too. When there's a good list going, we can put it in order, west to east, and go from there.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Northspruce, just sent you an email.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Got it! I'll send it on to you next Marcia, I already have your address. Any requests?

12 years ago

None in particular, that i can think of offhand. I've been taking mostly annual seeds because i'm running out of room for perennials and i tend to plant lilies in the blank spots! Last year i got some penstemon seeds that have come up nicely, and the year before i took some Chrysopsis villosa that turned out to be something different. :-/

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Ooh those penstemons might have been my babies! Will you be requesting child support?

12 years ago

Depends on how much fertilizer they eat! :>

12 years ago

Hey Gil, i was thinking - what about seeds from your asters and nigella if you have them this year? I told Darius we'd plant some next year because i didn't have any (i think i have everything else except the cannas and callas that were in the game you sent).

I'm starting to collect a few seeds now but there's not much ripening. They'll start soon, i'm sure!

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Northspruce,

The seeds were mailed to you this afternoon. Here's the tracking #

0103 4750 0023 1048

Thanks....Heather

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Got the seeds - I'll be collecting for about another week then sending it on to Marcia. I'm surprised how many seeds I have to add that aren't already in there!

12 years ago

No problem, Gil. I don't have a lot of seeds done yet (lots of hollyhocks, though! LOL), so once i get the box, it could take me awhile to do some more collecting.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Out of curiosity, whatever happened to the box that was circulating?

12 years ago

Gil was mailing it to me last week, i believe. If the post office was open on a certain day - can't remember which, but i think it must have been Boxing Day. Whatever, it's probably on its way to me by now!

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I walked to the post office with them yesterday and it was flippin closed again. Day off in lieu of stat or something. I'll mail them for sure today. I put lots of new ones in there!

12 years ago

Oh good! It will probably get here by Friday and then i can play with them!

12 years ago

Yes, it arrived today. Lots of goodies! Now i need to start looking through my seeds to see what i can add.

Hmmm, just realized that there's no one else on the list this year. Anyone out there want some free seeds??

• donna_jj
    12 years ago

Hello Marciaz,
    I'd be happy to take the box off your hands for a few days. I also have a number of seeds looking for a new home so would also be happy to fill the box. I will email you my address.
    Donna

12 years ago

Got your email, Donna, so will send the seeds when i'm done with them, hopefully within a week. :)

12 years ago

The box went out to Donna today - later than i thought because i needed to get more seed baggies. Yes, i'm too lazy to print out my own this year! :>

• momof4ont4
    12 years ago

Is it too late to get involved in this seed exchange? Are they all flowers and shrubbery, or veggies as well?

Thanks

12 years ago

The box has veggie and flower seeds - there may be seeds for shrubs in there, but i can't remember offhand. The box will be going to Shanta after Donna, so with any luck, she'll visit here (i'll email her, actually) and she can get your address from you.

Have you been here before? I can't remember that either! (age!) Just wondering where in NWOnt you are. :)

• momof4ont4
    12 years ago

I've read through the forums the last couple of years, spring planning, but never actually joined or posted before. I live near Timmins, NE Ontario. I was a little befuddled last night, lol. Thanks Marciaz3.

• Shanta_5
    12 years ago

Hi Momof4ont4,

Please email me a note will need your address later.

Shanta

12 years ago

Oh, i see! LOL My sister lives in Timmins. :)

Keep posting, now that you're here!

• momof4ont4
    12 years ago

Thank you both! That's cool.

• crazy_gardner
    12 years ago

Hi Gals
    I would love to get a hold of the seed box again this year! Always soooo much fun! Where abouts is the box now?

It sure has been a awesome winter... and spring has to be just around the corner! Ya hoo!

Happy seeding everyone!
    Theresa

12 years ago

The box was supposed to go from Donna to Shanta to Momof4. Perhaps try to contact her through the Garden Web so she can send it to you when she's finished with it.

Agreed on the winter - fingers crossed that it holds!

• donna_jj
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    The box is here with me, am finishing with it this weekend, hope to be able to put it in the mail Tuesday or Thursday at the latest to Shanta. I am sorry for the delay, a knee issue prevents me from getting as out and about as I usually do, and must rely on friends for driving.
    It's a lovely package full of goodies!
    Donna

• crazy_gardner
    12 years ago

Hi! Everyone

Please do not hold onto the seed box any longer than necessary at this point. You should only need a couple of days to take out what you want and put your seed contributions in.

There are still several people on the list waiting anxiously and patiently waiting to get it. Mail time alone will be another couple of weeks before the last person on the list will get the box. (At this point me) Getting the box definitely will affect my purchasing and planting for this year. (Ok... so I am anxious to get started)(smile)

Thank you for the consideration.
    Theresa

• donna_jj
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,
    the seed package was sent to Shanta on last Thursday, February 9th. I am sorry again about the delay.
    Have a nice day,
    Donna

• Shanta_5
    12 years ago

HEllo Everyone,

Thank you Donna I receive the box of seeds have look them over put some seeds in the package ready to take to the post office to mail out to MONof4ont4.

Will email tracking from the post office.
    Happy gardenering

Shanta

• Shanta_5
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I send the Box of seeds to Monof4ont4 today. Here is the tracking #the
    0016 7560 0051 7215.Monof4ont4 please let me know you receive the box of seeds thank you.
    Good collection of seeds in the package enjoy
    Happy gardening
    Shanta

• bdgardener
    12 years ago

Is there anyone out west who wants to join in. I'm in Alberta, and it seems from past experience that it is easier if a group from the same area gets it at the same time rather than criss-crossing the country. I'm willing to be last on the list if it makes it easier. Cheryl

• Shanta_5
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I send the Box of seeds to Monof4ont4. As of this morning no one at home to receive it they leave a note to go to Post office thank you.

Shanta

• Maria_77
    12 years ago

I just moved to Fairbanks last summer, and I'd be interested to see what's in the box and add my little bit. Reading through I'm not sure who I would need to email about my snail mail address.

maria

12 years ago

It looks like after Momof4Ont, it will go to Crazy Gardner (Theresa), so she would be the one you would contact. I guess it would be okay to mail it to the States - there aren't any restrictions on seeds that i know of.

• crazy_gardner
    12 years ago

Hi Guy's
    Actually the next person after me would be Bd gardner (Cheryl) and then Maria would appear to be last on the list. I really thought that the seed box "could not" go the USA. I guess maybe checking at the Post office they should be abe to tell if it would get held up at customs or not?? If all goes well I might get the box late this week??

We just dodged a storm here in Sask. they were nick nameing a " Saskatchan screamer" (A foot of snow was forecast!) Thank goodness it was actually more of a Sask. whimper HA! We actually got very little snow but we are getting a couple of days of cold weather! Oh we are tough so we can handle that! (So the really awesome winter in Sask. still stands!)

Spring has to still be just around the corner as we can see bare spots in yard! (Smile) Happy planting everyone

Theresa

12 years ago

It missed us too, but my mother in Thunder Bay went out and stuck a yardstick into the snow in the parking lot of their building and there was 27 inches there! Of course, that was drifted snow, but still!

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Unfortunately it can't go to the USA. Even if it made it there, it might not make it back.

• momof4ont4
    12 years ago

Recieved the box. Should send it back out tomorrow. Nice selection. Thanks everyone!

Wendy

• momof4ont4
    12 years ago

The box is on it's way to crazy_gardner.
    Tracking number: 0101 5290 0007 7556

Happy Gardening!

12 years ago

Theresa, did you get the package? I guess it can't go to the States - sorry! - so if there's anyone else who wants it, speak up now!

If no one else asks for it, Heather, do you want it back?

• crazy_gardner
    12 years ago

Marcia
    The box is now on its way to bd gardener (Cheryl) She is the last person on the list.

Loving this weather. Lots of melting going on! Current temp +9c Yeah!
    Gotta go lots of seeds to plant! (and seedling babies to attend to! (Smile)

Happy Spring and Gardening Everyone!

Theresa

12 years ago

Sorry - i'd forgotten about Cheryl!

Yes, the weather is incredible but i am worried that our snow is going to go and then we'll be hit with normal or below normal temperatures. Fingers crossed that we don't!

• bdgardener
    12 years ago

Hi everyone, I have the box, thanks Theresa. If there is no one else on the list (at least I can't see anyone) I can hold onto the box and get it restarted in the fall. If anyone else out there wants it I can pass it on. I see that there are quite a few older seed packages if I hold onto the box this summer would anyone object if I discard some. I have a large country garden of both flowers and veg. I wouldn't mind replenishing the box (as long as I have a good season here) let me know. Cheryl

12 years ago

Fingers crossed for a good season for you, Cheryl. I would have no objection to you cleaning out the box. I already took out a few things that were mine at one time. :)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions