Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Summer Clearance Sales!

Crazy_Gardener
15 years ago

Today I went to Wickham Nurseryland in Lloydminster and was so pleased to see the 50% SALE on the door!

Aconitum henryi 'Sparks Variety'

Aruncus dioicus Goat's Beard (leaves were crispy, so I got it reduced to $2.50)

Campanula cochlearifolia 'Elizabeth Oliver'

Campanula punctata 'Cherry Bells'

Iris germanica LOOP DE LOOP

Iris germanica SUPERSTITION

Iris sibirica ERIC THE RED

Iris sibirica RUFFLED VELVET

Lilium Asiatic Pixie Orange Lily

Monarda didyma 'Jacob Cline' Beebalm

Nepeta racemosa 'Walker's Low'

Paeonia lactiflora 'Primevere'

Salvia nemorosa 'Caradonna'

Solidago rugosa 'Fireworks' Goldenrod

Hemerocallis

BLACK STOCKINGS

FIRE AND FOG

RUBY STELLA

STELLA SUPREME

Tomorrow I'm going to check out our Canadian Tire and No Frills.

Any good deals in your neck of the woods?

Sharon

Comments (32)

• Happy2BeeME
    15 years ago

Oh! How lucky can a girl get. That Jacob Cline is going to be so nice. I love mine.

Karyn

• Happy2BeeME
    15 years ago

I haven't found any local clearance sales but this one on the net.
    http://www.americanmeadows.com/FallFlowerBulbs/FallPlantedLilyBulbs.aspx

American Meadows
    They have bearded iris, lilies, daffs., crocus, glads, peony all on sale for fall planting.

I ordered from them once a long time ago and didn't have any troubles. I'm thinking about some lilies.
    Anyone have any listed?
    Stargazer
    Casa Blanca
    Mona Lisa, often called The Pink Star Gazer
    Chianti
    Gran Paradiso
    Pollyanna
    If so what kind of luck have you had with them, and what kind of care do you give them. I'm new to these lilies so know nothing about them.

Thanks

KAryn

Here is a link that might be useful: american meadow

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

No sales here, I have been looking. Ahemmmmmm it didn't stop me from buying a few more plants. What can I say.....they just seem to jump right into my cart.

Way to go Sharon. How come you are sooooooo lucky with the sales huh.

Karyn, I have stargazer, Casa Blanca, Mona Lisa, These are oriental lilies and you may have better luck if you plant the bulbs on their sides. This way the water won't sit in the top of the bulb and rot it. I also have asiatics, Gran Paradiso and a couple Pollyanna's. You shouldn't have any problem growing lilies in zone 4a. Plant 4 to 6 inches deep and wait for the show next summer.

Field mice chewed many of my lily bulbs to shreds a couple winters ago.......and now I have baby lilies popping up everywhere. Some are even going to bloom this year. lol. Evenually I plan to dig them all up and put back in their colour groupings. Right now I have lily surprise. haha.

Sierra

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

Extra Foods has most of their plants on half price. Today i got an Alberta spruce and dh bought some little cedars - what for, i ask? Deer food? Oh well, it will be entertaining to hear him complain when they eat them! I also picked up a couple of Scotch mosses and Irish mosses to go in the stepping stones.

• Happy2BeeME
    15 years ago

Sierra,

Thanks for the tip. I also just read to plant the bulbs on their sides as it help grow roots above the bulb securing it better in the ground. I'll give it a try. :)

Marciaz,
    That moss is going to be stunning, I LOVE moss between stones.

Happy sale hunting everyone!

Karyn

• debbie_z2
    15 years ago

On my way to visit my son, I stopped at Wickhams at the beginning of July and picked up two huge peonies - Raspberry Sundae & Jan van Leewan, Rose Majesty Coral Bells & Red Rum Daylily all at 50% off. Sure could of bought alot more...
    I noticed that Home Depot had all their 1 gallon clematis on sale for $6.50, they all looked very good and it was tempting.
    Debbie

15 years ago

These sales all come at the time of year when i have to go into austerity mode, money-wise! >:(

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yesterday before I went to work I checked out our No Frills and did I ever get a good deal, they marked them down an additional 50% off of the already reduced sales price and I also had $13 worth of gas rebate coupons, whooohooo, hope all of them make the winter now ;)

Astilbe x arendsii 'Brautschleier' Bridal Veil
    Astilbe x arendsii 'Color Flash'
    Astilbe x arendsii 'Augustleuchten' August Light
    Brunnera macrophylla 'Looking Glass'
    Forsythia suspensa Mimosa de Paris - can't find much information on this one, tags says Northern Gems, hardiness -35C.
    Heucherella 'Stoplight'
    Veronica spicata 'Icicle'

Dang Deb, I should of stopped at HD while I was in Lloyd, I never think of going in there and its not far from Wickhams!

Sharon

• glen3a
    15 years ago

Superstore, at least here, also has a lot of their stuff 50% off. I haven't really looked too hard, just no room and sort of tired of planting (for now) as it probably would involve creating a new flower bed or weeding or trying to fit another plant in. I still have one lilac that needs to be planted though.

Glen

• debbie_z2
    15 years ago

I hear you on the "too tired" to plant much more!
    I have to move sooooooooo many things around, I'm tired just thinking about it. If my waterfall had got finished when it was suppose to this spring, I would of been a much happier gardener right now.
    Sharon...what is the key to growing to Astilbe? I have had two for 3yrs and they are just barely hanging on. I'm ready to give up on them.
    Deb

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    15 years ago

Too tired here also ... though, I keep going back for more purchase punishment! Yes, SuperStore has been a surprisingly good place to pick up many new and interesting plants. I went the other day and got another Golden Shadows pagoda dogwood, down to $15 from $30 ... it really has outstanding foliage ... now, just as long as it proves hardy!

I've also gone to HomeDepot and snapped up several clematis that are now only six bucks! ... sure, they were rather tangled and ratted up, though for that price I was not complaining. In a day or so, I think I'll go back and check a few other places out ... yep, more planting punishment!

Terry

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deb, Astilbes do best in part shade with more sun than shade because they will not flower well with out good light, under poor light conditions they will grow into green clumps and not flower. They love moisture, good peaty loamy soil and are heavy feeders.

I've had a couple of them in my garden for years but moved them out in more sun this past spring, I also extended this bed to add more, will see how they do ;)

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had to go to Lloydminster today to get Panda's stiches removed and of course I had to drive right by Wickham Nurseryland and for some reason my car turned into their driveway, therefore I bought these perennials for 1/2 price, all in large pots and in very good shape, will overwinter in the pumphouse for next spring. ;)

50% SALE
    Aquilegia vulgaris 'Clementine Red'
    Heuchera x 'Crystal Spires' CORAL BELLS
    Hosta AVOCADO
    Hosta NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS (didnÂt realize I have this one already, doh!)
    Hosta SITTING PRETTY
    Iris ensata 'Variegata' VARIEGATED JAPANESE WATER IRIS
    Sedum 'Black Jack'

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

At this time of the year I am purposely avoiding the nurseries. I have enough perennials to plant yet from purchases made earlier in the year.

On top of that the cucumbers are going right now and the plums and apples are just starting. Plum jam...apple pie filling...pickles...all take time.

Sharon, you will love your Avocado Hosta and Night Before Christmas. They have been in my beds for a few years already. I also got Sitting Pretty at a nursery in Winnipeg this spring and it was large enough to share with a friend.

Why don't you just plant out your hostas?

I just got a very large order of hostas from Pat Vinish, the hostageek, from Fundy Beauties in Nova Scotia. I planted them all yesterday. He has a sale on right now, where he pays for the shipping. I checked out his 27 pages of available hostas and found that of the ones I was interested in, he had the cheapest price in Canada. Also, there is no taxes. And I could pay him by e-transfer...even better.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Brenda, I have to make more room in the shade garden for more Hostas ;) They'll be fine down in the pumphouse over winter, I've overwintered many plants before with no problems down there. Besides I have a million things to do at this time of year.

I'm also expecting Veseys, Lily Nook, Valley K, Hillcrest, Parkland, Chapman and La Pivoinerie orders to come in soon too.

Sharon

• growup
    15 years ago

Home Depot has had some great deals...$0.50-$2.00 for the 4cm-2 Gal pots!!

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOWWWWWWWW! What did you buy growup!

Welcome to the FN forum!

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

Well, I went off to the garden center yesterday to see if I could find any great deals. I can't believe I didn't find a thing. I was hoping for the daylilies and iris to be at least 50% off. They were only 30% off.....and the prices were very high. I as a little disappointed.

Then I was looking for white muscari at this nursery and all they had was the plain old purple. :(

I walked out not buying a single thing. :O

Sierra :(

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Did you try to negotiate with the manager? Most times they will bend at this time of the year ;)

Yeah unusal bulbs have to be catalogued ordered.

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess this would be more Fall Clearance than Summer, however McFayden have a 40% Sale on right now. This is what I ordered.

Erythronium 'Pagoda' Trout Lily (2) (store in pumphouse for the winter)
    Iris CIRCUS WORLD TB (overwinter in the cool room downstairs)
    Lilium Oriental Famosa (3) (store in pumphouse for the winter)
    Lilium Asiatic Endless Love (3)
    Lilium Orienpet American Sentinel (2) (store in pumphouse for the winter)

Did you guys get on their sale too?

Sharon

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

Lucky you Sharon. I am finished for the season. The manager of the nursery here won't budge....the sign still says only 30% off.

Sierra

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well Sierra if they don't budge, I guess they'll be stuck with alot of dead plants!

Veseys are having thier end of season sale right now, I couldn't resist....all these will be stored overwinter in the pumphouse and planted in the spring.

Allium Globemaster
    Daffodil 'Ice Follies' (15)
    Dranunculus vulgaris Dragon Arum
    Eranthis hyemalis Winter Aconite (10)
    Lilium martagon
    Lilium Oriental Golden Stargazer (3)
    Paeonia officinalis Shirley Temple Peony

Sharon

• gladzoe
    15 years ago

I couldn't resist Veseys sale either and ordered:
    Allium 'Gladiator'
    Daylily Pandora's Box
    Peony Red Magic
    Drumstick Allium
    Select Daylily Mixture
    Package of 5 Roots
    Double Tiger Lily 'Flora Pleno'
    Tulip Mysterious Passion Blend
    Rosy Returns Daylily

Sharon, how cold is your pump house? I was able to force tulips last winter in the pantry which goes down to 7c. Would the others do fine down there? So far we haven't had a frost but I'm not sure about 6 more weeks of above freezing.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi gladzoe, My pumphouse is 12' deep and never goes below 0C. I'm pretty lucky to have this storage room, especially for these late sales ;)

7C would be ideal, I know peonies need a long cold dormant period in order to bloom, however, if they don't bloom next year they will the following year.
    Keep your receipt/ emails from Veseys in case they donÂt come true, even if you have to keep them for a couple of years.

• gladzoe
    15 years ago

thanks so much Sharon. I will definitely keep my records, and start in the basement so that a late start won't be to blame if the babies don't survive. It also saves me from having to dig up more of the front yard in the cold.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I received my Veseys order last Friday and everything looks good except the Martagon bulb, it was limp and not very healthy looking. I wrote an email to Veseys and they'll be crediting my Spring Advance order. ;)

Great customer service once again.

Sharon

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

Sharon, I am shocked that you said you got good customer service from Veseys.

They sent me that big order of mouldy lilies and one empty bag, a couple of years ago......when I called they got really nasty with me. They told me that nothing in their catalogue would grow in zone 2. Then when I had to order blooming bags from them last year because I couldn't find them anywhere else....I added a couple annual seed packs to the order. The person on the phone taking my order told me they had nothing that would grow in zone 2....so the seeds had no guarantee.

I would like an explaination, how come they have things that grow in your z2 and on top of that how they come with a guarentee?

This just doesn't look like good customer service to me!!!

Sierra

• gladzoe
    15 years ago

I got my order today. Everything looks pretty good and healthy. My 2 Pandora's box had Rosy Returns substituted, which means I got three. Not too happy with the choice for substitution as I really love the look of the Pandora's box so I've e-mailed them about a return. Happy to report they have credited me for my previous order of an iris that had a bit of mold on it when it came, and has completely rotted away.

• gladzoe
    15 years ago

My Pandora's box was credited. Next year I'm going to specify on the order that if a substitution is required, please substitute something I don't have in my order already. I like surprises, not multiples of the same thing.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Geez, I'm a sucker for sales....

I ordered for the first time from Gardenimport, 50% sale on their lily bulbs.

Asiatic Commander in Chief (3)
    Asiatic First Lady (3)
    Oriental Casablanca (3)
    Oriental Medusa (3)
    Oriental Gold Band (3)
    OT American Flame (3)
    OT American Debutante (3)

Doh and here I thought I was done for the year!
    Sharon

15 years ago

What will you do with these, Sharon? It's too late to plant, isn't it?

Walmart has all their bulbs on sale but i'm not buying any. Nowhere to keep them for the winter, for one thing, and very little space to plant them in the spring. :)

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh yes, its way too late here, we had snow over the weekend.
    I'll be storing them in the pumphouse with the others.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction