Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Time to shovel prune that Arnold Red Honeysuckle!

ostrich
9 years ago

You may remember that my supposedly hardy Arnold Red honeysuckle did not leaf out from the woody stems at all this year. Finally, the leaves came out from the base and I pruned off most of the woody branches. The new growth was all over the place and some bent over. It looked like a big ugly mess. Well, it got uglier from there.... today, I noticed that this supposed aphid-resistant variety was once again covered with aphids! It did that last year and I had to spray it. This year, it is happening all over again. I am just not happy about that!

Seeing that it is now such an ugly-looking, aphid infested mess, I am going to just get rid of it. Sigh! Well, at least I will then make some room for other perennials there! Oh well.....

Comments (11)

• nutsaboutflowers
    9 years ago

It took me quite a few years of reading this forum to be able to shovel prune anything.

Now that I've learned, it's quite liberating.

Go for it !

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I so needed to hear that - I was the same way too, but our growing season is too short for us to mess around with stuff that is not hardy enough and not pretty enough!!! LOL

OK, I am getting the shovel out this evening... thanks again!

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nutsaboutflowers, I just did it!!!!!!!!! YAY!

Now there is a bit hole there - a real opportunity to fill it in with something that I really enjoy,

BTW, it was really gross as my arms were covered with aphids at one point, while pulling out that thing!!!!!!! EWW....

• nutsaboutflowers
    9 years ago

That's step one. It gets easier after this to realize that nothing in your yard has to be considered permanent. If you don't like it, shovel prune it, and get something else.

As I said, very liberating :)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

I will have to add that shovel pruning to acquire something else is a symptom of PAD (Plant Acquisition Disorder, we talked last year about this)

Be very careful as it seems nutsaboutflowers is severely affected. Might be trying to sway you to shovel prune and acquire so they don't feel bad about their shovel pruning to acquire (PAD) addiction.

I am a recovering from PAD and unfortunately relapse often. This winter when my desire to acquire plants was low I was able to take courses and become a certified PAD and CSD counsellor. For a small fee, of course, I can help anybody out.

SCG

9 years ago

OMG, preach as I may I just shovel pruned to acquire. I am hopeless. But I am sure a 'sum and substance' hosta would fill this spot!

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SCG, you are just too much! ROTFLOL! You are hilarious, man!!! :-)

I certainly have PAD.... why is it that every time I see something nice in the nursery, I have the urge to buy it?! Then if it's on sale, then forget about it, I have to have it, whether there is room or not!!!!!!!!!

I now have a number of perennials that I just had to have when I saw them, all sitting in a tray, waiting patiently for me to find space for them.... sigh! See, that's why that Arnold Red Honeysuckle just had to go!!!

Is there a PAD Anonymous in the Calgary region!? LOL

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

I threatened my Dropmore honeysuckle with shovel pruning after several years of relentless wooly aphids. I just couldn't get rid of them no matter what. Then last year for some reason the vine was aphid free and lovely. So it stayed. So far this year it has been attacked by some kind of caterpillar that left many chewed leaves and now it has some kind of leaf miner.
    It is starting to get on my nerves again.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

north53, I know what you mean! Some of these plants would do terrible, then they would tease you with some good performance when you're about to get rid of them.... what is one supposed to do!? Sigh....

BTW, I am never going to allow a honeysuckle into my yard again. I just cannot stand those aphids LOL

9 years ago

OH you folks scare me...I added a 'Mandarin Honeysuckle' just this year.....

SCG

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL SCG!

No, just try it. I really believe that these plants all behave differently in different locations and situations. Maybe it will do well in your location!

Hey, if it doesn't then you know what to do.... S.P. it.... simple.

LOL