Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time to shovel prune that Arnold Red Honeysuckle!

Posted by ostrich 3a AB (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 0:48

You may remember that my supposedly hardy Arnold Red honeysuckle did not leaf out from the woody stems at all this year. Finally, the leaves came out from the base and I pruned off most of the woody branches. The new growth was all over the place and some bent over. It looked like a big ugly mess. Well, it got uglier from there.... today, I noticed that this supposed aphid-resistant variety was once again covered with aphids! It did that last year and I had to spray it. This year, it is happening all over again. I am just not happy about that!

Seeing that it is now such an ugly-looking, aphid infested mess, I am going to just get rid of it. Sigh! Well, at least I will then make some room for other perennials there! Oh well.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time to shovel prune that Arnold Red Honeysuckle!

It took me quite a few years of reading this forum to be able to shovel prune anything.

Now that I've learned, it's quite liberating.

Go for it !

o

Thanks! I so needed to hear that - I was the same way too, but our growing season is too short for us to mess around with stuff that is not hardy enough and not pretty enough!!! LOL

OK, I am getting the shovel out this evening... thanks again!

o

nutsaboutflowers, I just did it!!!!!!!!! YAY!

Now there is a bit hole there - a real opportunity to fill it in with something that I really enjoy,

BTW, it was really gross as my arms were covered with aphids at one point, while pulling out that thing!!!!!!! EWW....

o

That's step one. It gets easier after this to realize that nothing in your yard has to be considered permanent. If you don't like it, shovel prune it, and get something else.

As I said, very liberating :)

o

I will have to add that shovel pruning to acquire something else is a symptom of PAD (Plant Acquisition Disorder, we talked last year about this)

Be very careful as it seems nutsaboutflowers is severely affected. Might be trying to sway you to shovel prune and acquire so they don't feel bad about their shovel pruning to acquire (PAD) addiction.

I am a recovering from PAD and unfortunately relapse often. This winter when my desire to acquire plants was low I was able to take courses and become a certified PAD and CSD counsellor. For a small fee, of course, I can help anybody out.

SCG

o

OMG, preach as I may I just shovel pruned to acquire. I am hopeless. But I am sure a 'sum and substance' hosta would fill this spot!

o

SCG, you are just too much! ROTFLOL! You are hilarious, man!!! :-)

I certainly have PAD.... why is it that every time I see something nice in the nursery, I have the urge to buy it?! Then if it's on sale, then forget about it, I have to have it, whether there is room or not!!!!!!!!!

I now have a number of perennials that I just had to have when I saw them, all sitting in a tray, waiting patiently for me to find space for them.... sigh! See, that's why that Arnold Red Honeysuckle just had to go!!!

Is there a PAD Anonymous in the Calgary region!? LOL

o

I threatened my Dropmore honeysuckle with shovel pruning after several years of relentless wooly aphids. I just couldn't get rid of them no matter what. Then last year for some reason the vine was aphid free and lovely. So it stayed. So far this year it has been attacked by some kind of caterpillar that left many chewed leaves and now it has some kind of leaf miner.
It is starting to get on my nerves again.

o

north53, I know what you mean! Some of these plants would do terrible, then they would tease you with some good performance when you're about to get rid of them.... what is one supposed to do!? Sigh....

BTW, I am never going to allow a honeysuckle into my yard again. I just cannot stand those aphids LOL

o

OH you folks scare me...I added a 'Mandarin Honeysuckle' just this year.....

SCG

o

LOL SCG!

No, just try it. I really believe that these plants all behave differently in different locations and situations. Maybe it will do well in your location!

Hey, if it doesn't then you know what to do.... S.P. it.... simple.

LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here