Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Does Your Garden Grow?

Posted by diane_v_44 Z6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 0:48

I am delighted with my garden beds this year

It is six years since I moved to this house and am beginning to get some nicely established plants.
I have a 40 foot row for instance of Rose Of Sharon in different colours that is as high as the fence now and just beginning to bloom.
Two ponds that seem to be doing quite well on their own mostly.With some nice perennial plants establishing themselves. Including lilies. I am quite proud of the ponds.
I have taken out a number of rose plants as they just seem to take to much work Other than a couple of old shrub roses that seem to just do fine with very little care But have Hydrangeas, and Japanese Tree Peonies in their place Even t hough their bloom time is short especially the Peonies the plants look good all season
As are the Hostas.
Have a lovely bed alongside of the house, in an area that had been totally left uncared for, and now has gingers, ferns, toad lily, crocisma, calla lilies which seem to come up each year, so far at least and Voodoo Lily. As well Clematis on the fence itself.
Lots more stuff in the gardens

But to lengthy of a note
What I have found though, is that I have to water quite a bit this year so far.
I don't like doing so, as the old water bill for sure increases when one waters.
But has to be done, and hand watering, is kind of relaxing and pleasant. Time to spend in the yard just enjoying the plants and planing on this and that as far as changes you might make
I am a happy gardener.
Hope lots of you are as well
Have several Brugmansia in pots but none blooming yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Does Your Garden Grow?

This is our eighth year here, so I'm enjoying some nicely established plants as well.

The junipers are already bigger than I expected them to be, the daylilies and lilies are well worth having, and I've even managed to keep my clematis alive for a change. Three times a charm I guess. My roses amaze me, as I was unsure I'd be able to grow them, but it turns out they're not that hard.

Gardening life is good, as long as we don't get any hail.

o

Like this:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And like this:

And like this:

And like this:

:)

o

Those pictures are an inspiration.
I am fighting quack grass and also trying to remove lawn so my yard is in transition. I did get some blue poppies to bloom.
Now I am waiting to collect seed from them so I have bagged some of the blossoms.

o

I love Himalayan poppies! I couldn't get mine to sprout this year. :(

o

Beautiful, both of you! I had Himalayan blue poppies for a couple of years - they're gorgeous!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here