Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Husker's Red Penstemon?

Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 08 at 2:10

Marcia was generous and sent me seeds which I started last year.I am not sure if this is one of them. I thought the plants looked redder stemmed and darker foliage last year and from what I read the flowers are white with a pink tinge to them. These have a noticable blue tinge. savona
huskers red penstemon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Husker's Red Penstemon?

They look an awful lot like mine. :) I think mine are pretty much done now but there are pictures, i think, in the Gallery. The variation in colour could be due to your soil or their location, maybe. I just remember being disappointed that they weren't RED!

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 08 at 11:18

I have "Huskers Red' in my garden. When I bought mine, they told me to keep it in shade. I did and it didn't do to well so I moved it to a raised bed out front. It seems to love it there because it is doing very well. The 'red' in the name is from the foliage which is more purple. The flowers on mine are creamy white with a tinge of pink. I like Dave's Garden for various images of a plant. Here is a link to 'Huskers Red' - www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimages/190529

o

THe bottom leaves are dark green and the top part of the leaves and stems should be burgundy. Apparently this cultivar is notorious for having true strains that maintain their color well, and seed-grown strains that don't do quite so well.

Maybe they self-seeded back to the plain species?

Sharon

o

Hmmm, i checked and mine are still blooming, and they look exactly like yours, Savona, maybe even bluer. So maybe they aren't true from seed. I'll have to look back and see if i can find earlier pictures to see if they were whiter before. I think they were.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here