Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
random non-hardy roses, mostly tea roses

Posted by don555 3a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 2:40

Most of these guys have been growing for 10 or so years, but I've long since lost track of what individual varieties they are. The bed used to get all-day sun when first planted, but a nearby pine tree has gotten much bigger since then, so now the roses get about a half-day of sun. That's still enough that they put on a decent show. A few pics:

I think this is some kind of "Peace" rose, it's always done well:
 photo Jul513rose4.jpg

A different branch on the same plant:
 photo Jul513rose5.jpg

Don't know this one at all...
 photo Jul513rose6.jpg

A yellow rose. I have 2 yellow roses in the bed of 10 rose plants. The yellows were added later and may not be hybrid teas, maybe "old-fashioned roses"? Not sure, but I added them when I removed two hardy roses in favour of showier non-hardy roses, maybe 5 years ago.
 photo Jul513rose3.jpg

A white tea rose, variety unknown.
 photo Jul513rose2.jpg

My favourite of the bunch is this pink tea rose, variety unknown. This is the first bloom on this one this year, other flowers soon to follow.
 photo Jul513rose1.jpg

Anyhoo, just some eye-candy. Feel free to add more pics of your own roses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: random non-hardy roses, mostly tea roses

Beautiful, Don! I was just thinking of starting another rose thread in the gallery, but haven't uploaded my pics yet.

o

Great pics Don! I have to mention though (I'm sorry I just have to) that they're hybrid tea roses. Tea roses are something completely different and wouldn't grow for us.

The first does look like Peace. The yellow one could be Sunsprite, a floribunda. There are only so many bright yellow roses. The true test of Sunsprite is if the flower only lasts a day or two, and drops all its petals cleanly. I had Sunsprite and my only complaint was the short life of the blooms.

o

Very nice Don. May I ask how you protect them in the winter. I so want a few that are tender to this area but can't afford to lose them.

TIA

SCG

o

Northspruce, thanks for pointing out these are hybrid teas, not true teas... no problem in pointing that out. The name Sunsprite does ring a bit of a bell for me... I went out today and looked and the bloom still has its petals, but maybe they will drop shortly. They do seem to fall cleanly from older flowers on the same plant.

SCG, I planted these deep when first planted, and on a slant to maximize the amount of stem underground. The crowns are probably about 20 cm below soil level. Each winter I mulch with leaves or straw to about a foot or two depth (sorry for mixing imperial and metric) but the above ground parts usually die to soil level anyway. They grow back quickly from the stems and crown that are underground.

o

Thanks for the info Don. I love straight up info from folks in our general climate. I might push things a bit this year

SCG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here