Enjoy!

Sharon

Comments (16)

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

Sharon, I just ordered 'Anything Goes'. Sure is a beauty isn't she? Marg

• Pudge 2b
    14 years ago

And I like that second one. I was at the Chapman's site the other day after drooling over all your iris at your photobucket page. I told some friends to give me a good slap if I start talking about ordering more lilies (will have to duck a bit in a month or so LOL), but I never said anything about iris orders!

• northspruce
    14 years ago

I have a Chapmans order ready - I wasn't going to order any more irises but (long story) someone from the States wants a historical iris from me and I have to send it via Chuck for the phytosanitary... so I decided I'd better place an order at the same time. Makes sense right?

Sharon I totally love that pink too.

This is one I really liked this year, SBD 'Scout'. It's supposed to have spoons but it just did horns for me. Still cool. Smells like marshmallows. Increasing well.

And this one is nameless but a nice TB:

Most of my TBs took this year off. Mostly still alive though, that's good.

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

Here are a few of my new ones.
    'Lorilee'
    {{gwi:759536}}

'Dance Ballerina Dance'

{{gwi:759537}}

'Acoma'
    {{gwi:759539}}

This one I've had for a few years and she always puts on a great show, 'Distant Chimes'
    {{gwi:756930}}

• valleyrimgirl
    14 years ago

Sharon, love your irises!!

Gillian, when will Scout be large enough to split??? I love the horns on it!

Seeing the picture of the siberian iris, Dance Ballerina Dance, reminded me of the picture I took of mine when it bloomed this year at the same time as Modern Woman TB iris. They are planted in the same flowerbed, about 4 feet apart. They are very similar in colorings....

Here is another favorite of mine...Boogie Woogie, TB

I had so many new irises bloom this year I will be kept busy for a while this winter inputting them all into the photobucket album. A nice thing to do, though, in the winter months.

Brenda

• northspruce
    14 years ago

Brenda I'm sure I will be able to divide Scout next summer. It's clumping up nicely. I think a trade is in order!

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Love all your phots gals!

I like Scout too, I'll reserve a trade for you too next year Gillian ;)

Oh oh, Pudge, you're trapped now for going to Chuck's website! I too placed another order last week with him, can't resist ;) Hope they're all in stock. I'm also going to be a guinea pig for Chuck, planting method testing TB's.

Here is JEWELLED CROWN Siberian Iris that is blooming today. It is so beautiful in person, I just love this Iris!
    This was one of those Irises that we ordered from Ensata in 2007. Its finally blooming ;)

Sharon

• nutsaboutflowers
    14 years ago

What beautiful Irises. I think I need to get some. I only have one type.

So, can one of you please tell me what " TB " is ???

• northspruce
    14 years ago

Sharon, Jewelled Crown is incredible! I will go have a word with Scout and tell him to hurry up and make more rhisomes.

TB = Tall Bearded
    SBD = Standard Dwarf Bearded
    MDB = Miniature Dwarf Bearded
    IB = Intermediate Bearded
    MTB = Miniature Tall Bearded
    BB = Border Bearded
    Then there are various species and beardless such as Siberian, Pseudacorus (I think), and Spuria.

TBs are usually big and fancy, but SBDs are more likely to be reliable and quick to multiply in cold zones. I have lost TBs over the winter sometimes.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chuck as a good diagram

Here is a link that might be useful: RELATIVE SIZES OF THE BEARDED IRIS FAMILY

• gladzoe
    14 years ago

After hearing the reviews of Chapmans, I have my order filled out, just have to mail it in. All that's missing is an acreage.

• nutsaboutflowers
    14 years ago

This forum could almost eventually lead a person into the poorhouse if you weren't careful, hee, hee !

Because of your discussions and pictures, I've bought 3 rose bushes plus various other plants to try, and now I feel incredily drawn to Chapman's iris website =:)

If I order a catalogue, will it show me hardiness zones for each individual iris, or will I have to pick what I like, and then research each on the internet? Or, should I just pick what I like from the website, order them, and see what happens?

• northspruce
    14 years ago

The irises aren't really graded by hardiness zone. Chuck Chapman is the most northerly major iris grower and hybridizer and since all his plants are field grown (i.e. he doesn't just order a crate of them from Holland, they multiply in his fields), they all pass the acid test of Guelph winters or he doesn't sell them. Since Guelph is somewhat warmer than the prairies, there could be some difference in hardiness. He does note on his website some TBs that perform well in cold climates. If you're worried, order the smaller types of irises such as SDBs. They tend to be hardier.

And yeah, we are all broke from gardening but we can share recipes for dandelion stew and toaster shakings if your family is starving.

• Pudge 2b
    14 years ago

Always hard to decide when there's so much to choose from...

I took your experience as advice, Gil, and ordered mostly SDB which will work great for me, anyway, since I have room toward the front of the border moreso than at the back. Maybe next year I'll branch out to the tall ones.

Thanks very much to all the enablers. Oh, and OCD lawn boy thanks you, too.

• nutsaboutflowers
    14 years ago

Hey Northspruce........

When I finish perfecting a recipe for quackgrasss and chickweed salad, we can do a recipe swap ! =:)

Thanks for the info everyone.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A couple of Spuria Irises blooming for the first time...

LOOK AGAIN

PERFECT SPRING

Enjoy!
    Sharon

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living