Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don555_gw

Stir-fried garden slugs on angel-hair pasta recipe

don555
11 years ago

SLUGS ON PASTA:

-Collect a half-pound to a pound of fresh garden slugs. There are plenty around this year and they can easily be collected after dark by picking the litte pussballs off plants while they feed. Alternatively, collect them during the day by following their shimmering slimy trails back to their daytime hiding spots.

-Boil a large pot of water and add enough angel-hair pasta to serve your guests, about 150 g dry pasta per person. Cook to al dente or desired consistency, drain. Add a bit of butter or olive oil to prevent sticking.

- Heat 1-2 Tb of canola oil in a wok over high heat. When almost smoking, add the fresh slugs, add salt to taste, and toss quickly over high heat. The salt will extract the creamy sliminess from the slugs, so there is no need to use cream or a roux to thicken the slug sauce. Wear nose-plugs or sniff concentrated ammonia before cooking this dish to help dull the stench of the cooked slugs.

-Once the slugs are cooked and have a taken on a grey, slimy creaminess, turn off the heat, season with a bit of pepper, and serve on individual plates over the pasta, enough for each guest. Keep a bit of slug sauce on reserve in the kitchen for diners eager for seconds.

NOTES: If the slugs haven't eaten everything in your garden already, you can add colour to this dish by adding any veggies that the slugs haven't eaten. Are marigolds and chrysanthemums veggies?

Comments (11)

• jel48
    11 years ago

I think I'll pass....

Although anyone who wants to try this is welcome to come pick slugs in my garden :-)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

Mmmmm, delish....

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    11 years ago

I think I'll leave those little delicacies for the birds and stick with tomato sauce. :)

Ginny

• nutsaboutflowers
    11 years ago

I think I'd tweak the recipe a bit.

I'd top with minced greenery, preferably hail damaged. Anything available would be delicious, such as tomato plants, lettuce, etc. Sprinkle with damaged saskatoons for beautiful presentation.

Sorry Don............... I don't mean to offend anyone.

• don555
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, anything that would get rid of slugs this year would be a good thing! I hope August is really, really dry, otherwise the slugs will completely take over. Many of my garden tomatoes are getting big holes eaten into them as they ripen -- I've been blaming birds, now I think it is likely slugs. Slugs gotta eat, just please not in my garden.

• ostrich
    11 years ago

LOL don!

I think that having them sauteed with some garlic butter would be another treat... :-)

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

LOL...I'll pass, that will help to keep the population down,..glad I don't have this problem.

• donna_in_sask
    11 years ago

It is for this reason why I won't eat snails...they are just slugs with a home, is all.

• nuckles
    11 years ago

I'm Italian. Should I use linguini instead?

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Definitely!

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

How very disappointing most recipes I like come with pics :(