Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

What did you plant this year that you will definitely plant again

marricgardens
12 years ago

I know this summer was pretty much a dud, either hot and dry or wet and muddy. Is there anything you planted that really stood out for you? Something you would definitely plant again? For me it was Livingstone Daisy 'Sparkles Mix'. Don't know why I hadn't planted them sooner but from now they will be a staple in my garden, so bright and cheery. Another is Dimorphotheca 'Salmon'. Beautiful salmon colored daisy like flowers. Everyone who saw them remarked about these 2 plants. Anything new for next year? Marg

Comments (32)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Didn't really plant anything different, however, I am trying another Echinecea and Lavender. Neither one of these I have had success with in the past for any number of reasons so I'm trying them again. If I can successfully overwinter these two then I will definately try another ech. next year at least. I also want to plant more varieties of amaranth.

I grew mesembryanthemum years ago in Calgary and loved it. It took a bit to get going but it was worth it. I have also grown African Daisy in many different shades. Loved them all! :)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

I have Argyranthemum Frutescens, a yellow Marguerite daisy, in a container and i don't know why i've never grown it before. Well, i didn't grow it, i bought it, but will definitely be on the lookout for seeds (will collect them too, but i don't know if they come true from seed).

Ginny, i love mesenbranthemums! The ones i grew this year were a bit of a dud, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Agryanthemum frutescens

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I tried a couple of annuals that I was pleased with, one was a blue salvia (Victoria) which was easy to grow and has lots of flower spikes. It wasn't the same shade I have seen elsewhere though, it's sort of pale blue and I was looking for royal blue. Oh well.

I also like my starlight asters. I had pale pink once before but these are brighter colours and make lots of big pompoms.

• savona
    12 years ago

One of the few new things I started from seed this year was Angelonia. It hasn't been very impressive. It might be because of the weather we have had, maybe last year would have been better since it was hot and dry. Mostly I started my favorites from seed and have stuck to those.I need inspiration from others to try something different..Jean

• shazam_z3
    12 years ago

honalee,

According to Jim Hole, the only way you can get echinacea to prosper in cold climates is to buy a big clump. Those little ones will never make it through a winter.

• groggyfrog
    12 years ago

I've planted Brachycome in past years but for some reason it didn't flourish like it did this year in containers. I also had great results with Browallia in containers.

I will also be planting Lavatera again next year. The plants are flowering their heads off!

12 years ago

Thanks Shazam ~ "Echinecea Prairie Splendor" This little guy has really taken off so maybe he stands a chance. Tucked in with irses, yarrow and a few lilies hopefully he should have a good root system and be nice and comfy for winter. :)

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Too early in the season for me to know for sure.

I'll get back to you in a few more weeks or so =:)

Meanwhile I'll be really interested in everyone else's successes.

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

Ginny, Munstead lavender (that I grew from seed) has been hardy in my yard for a few years and has produced nice big clumps. This past year one even wintered in a 6" pot, above ground, set on the rocks with just snowfall for insulation. I never cut them back until I see growth on the stems, then I trim off the dead top growth. And the ones that didn't have outstanding drainage did not survive winter.

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

Honalee - I have a number of prairie splendors that have made it through the winter just fine, and I used to have a ton of trouble getting echinacea to over winter. I have horribly heavy soil too, which they don't like. I think having it tucked in amongst other plants to catch lots of snow will definitely help. Magnus and White Swan has also overwintered for me. For some reason, echinacea that self-seeded seems to overwinter for me better than the stuff that I got from the greenhouse. I have had absolutely no luck with any of the fancy Big sky series though.

Well, I didn't plant it this year, but next year I do intend to plant rudbeckia goldsturm for the 3rd time. I LOVE the flowers, but for some reason I have had no luck getting even a single plant to overwinter! I wonder if my soil is too heavy for it. That is one that I will keep trying, anyway.

12 years ago

Thanks ladies! Weeper ~ I love echinecea and they seem to be happy with drier feet. Same with the irises and the lavender so hopefully they will be compatible room mates.
    Pudge ~ I planted Hidcote, Munstead and French Fringed. I hadn't tried them in Edmonton till last year and they were in pots. They almost survived and maybe actually would have if I hadn't pulled them out......:( They are in the ground in the iris bed with the echinecea. We had so much snow last year I'm surprised I lost anything! In fact, I thought I lost some of my new baby irises only to be too quick to pull out the tags. Now I have about 15 NOID's out there!! Oh well, I like surprises!! :) Next year I am going to plant a shelter belt of lemon balm all around my yard!!!!

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Weeper, rudbeckia doesn't winter for me either. It does self seed freely though, so I always seem to have some but it moves around from place to place.

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

I wonder why? Goldsturm is supposed to be perfectly hardy for us!

• davidpeaceriver__2b
    12 years ago

I'll definitely plant "Rouge Vif D'Etampes" pumpkins again next year. The vines thrived during our disappointing (cold and rainy) spring, and now they're producing prolifically. They also don't seem to be troubled by powdery mildew, which is a problem in my garden.

I'm also loving my streptocarpella and will plant it again in and around a few of the shadier spots of my front yard. It's bloomed non-stop since I stuck a few plants in the ground in May.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know I'm not in the same zone as you guys but here's my 2 cents worth about echinacea and rudbeckia. I have heavy clay too and the echinacea is slow to take off but when it gets going its great. I also winter sowed my last batches of both echinacia and rudbeckia and I think that gave them a good start. I prefer the annual reseeding rudbeckias because I believe they are more drought tolerant and somewhat hardier than Goldsturm. When Goldsturm is drooping because of the heat, the others are standing nicely and looking good. Marg

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

Not to hijack this thread, but one more question on the rudbeckia - Marg, which annual rudbeckias do you prefer? Do they reliably reseed?

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I prefer the bright color of Prairie Sun. I also have others I've rec'd in trade that do very well. I've posted some pics a few post down called 'Garden Pics'. Marg

• northspruce
    12 years ago

My rudbeckias were also from a trade so I don't know what they are. They have a black eye and the first year they had a red eye zone. Now they're all yellow, I guess the red got bred out.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Wild Echinacea out here always seems to thrive in the absolute worst places for flowers. It always amazes me to find it growing in the places I do. I'm planning on trying to harvest some of the wild echinacea this year to winter sow in my yard. :)

~Tina Marie

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Sorry - this is so off topic - but Gaillardia (sp?) falls into the same category for me. It's a native plant but short lived. I've seen it growing in poor conditions but I have a feeling it's short lived in the wild too.

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

I've had..er..blanket flower (I agree, northspruce, I can't remember how to spell the botanical name!)..struggle to get established. Maybe 1 in 6 will survive. This one that I have that did survive though seems unkillable. I decided that I didn't want to mess around with just one super bright flower, so I pulled it out. Apparently I didn't get it all though, because now it is coming up in the exact same spot again!! I also found that it self-seeded easily.

On topic, one thing that I hadn't planted before but love are my firewitch dianthus. I think they look fantastic in and out of flower. I know they are amazingly common, but I didn't have ANY dianthus in my garden. Silly girl!

• shazam_z3
    12 years ago

FYI, Rona has a few varieties of echinacea for sale right now in 2 gallon containers, nice big clumps that should make it through the winter. They also have gaillardia in big clumps.

12 years ago

Is that Rona here in Edmonton Shazam? Which one?

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Something I propagated this year were 18 cuttings from my Walker's Low catmint. The other day I decided to look at them to see if they had rooted and 3 out of the 4 I looked at had really nice big healthy roots so I transplanted them into the garden. I think most of the others will have roots as well but it started pouring rain so I quit! Yah, I'm a wimp, but the mosquitoes came out full force when it started raining. I'll definitely take more cuttings next spring as I'd like to edge some of the beds with it, especially my rose garden.

• shazam_z3
    12 years ago

honalee, it should be all Ronas in Alberta at least.

• mogardengal
    12 years ago

I planted Lauren's Grape poppies. They are spectacular! Also, my stock and sweet peas are incredibly fragrant. I will be planting more next year, for sure. I garden in southcentral Alaska, so summers are cool...hence, poppies and sweet peas blooming in the end of July.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Luckgal: how did you root the catmint? Did you root them in water or soil? I would like to start more from mine. Any advice? Marg

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Marg, I used rooting compound and stuck them in potting soil. Left them on the patio so they got rained on so only had to water them a few times to keep damp. They keep flowering so I've cut off the flowers several times. Since catmint is closely related to mint I'm sure they'd root well in water, perhaps even faster than in soil. I'd have done that except I have a cat who eats any vegetation in the house so indoor plants/bouquets are a problem. Might try it anyhow with a birdcage over the slips.

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

I'll definitely be planting Magellan Sunburst Zinnia Mix again.

They're spectacular and blooming like crazy. The blooms are huge and you can see them from a mile away. Plus, they managed to survive all the pelting rain and crazy wind we've had this year, and even some hail.

I'll also plant many more of the other zinnias. I've never planted any zinnias before and it turns out I love them.

12 years ago

Was just thinking about where this thread was as i was checking out my Echinecea today. First time I got one to bloom for me but first time I planted one in Edmonton. I bought 2 more at an end of summer plant sale, Double Decker and Pow Wow White. They will go up in one of the front beds as well. :)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

I've been thinking about this thread too. I was all excited about the Argyranthemum Frutescens but now not so much. They really petered out by August, even though i was really diligent in my deadheading.

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

Well I have one container that was a total failure, but I can't even tell you the name of the plant I'm so disgusted with. It was something new I bought at the nursery and was supposed to be the main flower in my shade basket. It didn't get a single bloom, not one.
    So I certainly won't ever buy that again. I guess that's the total opposite of what this thread is about. Just wanted to vent about the stupid plant. I've searched through my tags but so far haven't found the name of it.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES