Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

Aphids on my crabapple

The other day, i noticed that the leaves at the end of a branch were all curled up and upon closer inspection found ants farming some aphids. Darn ants - i wish they'd take their operations elsewhere! Is Safers good enough for this or should i do something else? It's not just one branch now, it's most of them.

Comments (8)

• shazam_z3
    12 years ago

Easiest way to get rid of aphids is spraying them off with water from a hose. This breaks their feeding tube so they are doomed.

I'm not a huge fan of insecticidal soap, it can also damage plant tissue.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's what i was afraid of - i've used the insecticidal soap before and plants have died right off. And i've washed aphids off potted plants with the hose on my rain barrel but we don't have an outside tap, so that's out, unless i run a hose through the basement windows....

Thanks, though!

• shazam_z3
    12 years ago

Try filling up an empty ketchup bottle and using it. You might need a few trips but it'll get the job done.

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Marcia, how tall is the tree?

I don't really know how hard a "blast" of water is needed, but how about climbing one of those A-frame type ladders and dumping buckets of water??? Two person job of course =:) DH would need to pass the bucket and hold the ladder.

I know this idea sounds kind of silly, but would it work?

• Laurie_z3_MB
    12 years ago

Now's a perfect time to get one of those big, bad super-soaker waterguns that shoot up to 50 feet! I'm sure your grand-daughter might be able to find other uses for it after your aphids have been blown away...;)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Water gun!! There are three of them out at the lake! :-/ Figures, eh? I do have a spray bottle that i can try.

The tree is about 10-12 feet high, maybe more.

Maybe i can borrow a water gun from some kid....

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Borrow schmorrow!

Invite a bunch of boys over and let them have at it, LOL!

• northspruce
    12 years ago

That's odd, I have never had plant damage from Safer's Soap. I need to find mine, my salvia is under attack!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!