Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beegood_gw

Storm

beegood_gw
14 years ago

To those of you who live in the Edmonton area how did the storm affect you. My place looks like a war zone. Elm on my front steps, maple across the driveway.spruce between my heighbour and I blown down as well as a whole lot of them topped by about 10ft. Big willow in the back flattened,big poplar blown down and another maple wrecked. Plus a whole lot of other trees blown down. Thankfully no structural damage. It was a scary night and I'm glad it's over. Now the cleanup which at my age I may have to hire someone.

Comments (10)

• squirelette
    14 years ago

Thank heavens we took the birch down last year! I was pretty worried about the neighbors pine it was bending a loooong way over. Only real damage tho is where the garden swing blew into the flower bed and broke down a few things. And the 11x13 sunshade on the patio flipped and was trying to blow over the 6' hedge, got a couple holes in it. We are pretty sheltered. The wind did suck the attic hatch up into the attic, hope we don't get too much more of that kind of excitement this year.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    14 years ago

Baby twister went right through our yard. Took my greenhouse , the neighbours Virginia Creeper and all of their eaves trough, my wooden bench, half of an elm tree....but didn't even touch the plastic birdbath ( a foot away from the bench) or the little wooden ducks on my deck! It followed a distinct path across the tops of the houses and uprooted two trees on the next street over! Not one of my potted plants ON the railing of the deck was moved!
    The rest of the block doesn't look too bad so I think it was on a mission. Didn't touch the dead birch right in front of the house either!The clean up begins!
    We're in central north east Edmonton.

Ginny

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

oh, boy, sounds like it was pretty bad there, sorry to hear! Terribly strong winds at my location, though only took down the dead trees in the bush ... but, talk about one heck of a downpour, nasty! ... though, fortunately, it had not lasted too long and didn't overly erode the large and sloped sections of grass I've recently seeded. I'm also glad that the hail stones that had fallen was small. Today, is windy, cool and showery .... I HOPE the heat soon returns!

Terry

• ljpother
    14 years ago

I got away with snap peas coming off their supports and some hollyhocks and delphiniums that will need staking. We did get strong winds: I watched someones siding blow by and things got moved around in the back.

14 years ago

More damage found from our storm. Top 3 feet of the white spruce on the ground on the north side of the house, plus another three large branches off one elm. Almost split the maple tree in half. Neighbours lawn furniture up against the chain link fence. Many more trees in the neighbourhood were downed. Found my greenhouse in pieces! Freaky! I'm still convinced that we had a baby whirlwind go through our yard by the fact that it only moved specific things. and didn't even ruffle the light weight stuff. There has always been a bit of a wind tunnel through these two houses and many times I have seen whirling dervishes blowing through. Real freaky!

Ginny

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Went down to the pasture yesterday and it was unbelievable the amount of huge trees knocked down. I too had a maple split as well as spruce knocked down and some topped as well half the elm in my front yard is toast. Hit the door but no damage. I firmly believe it was a mini twister.

• ljpother
    14 years ago

I found some minor damage, siding needed to be put back in place, nothing serious. Just down the street an neighbour has his cotton wood cut up and stacked in the street -- sheared at the main trunk. I saw another cottonwood in similar shape a block over on the ravine. I expect I'll find more damage when I walk along the top of the river valley.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    14 years ago

Nothing too serious here either, just noticed some branches down but not much beyond that. We did get some pea sized hail very briefly but mostly heavy rain, lots of lightening and thunder, and yes, the wind but obviously by the small amount of damage in our area we got off easy compared to other areas in the city.

14 years ago

Drove around the neighbourhood last night. I couldn't believe the damage on the other blocks! 60 year old trees down all over the place. Chain saws buzzing all day. The boulevard lined with piles of tree parts. It was worse than I thought. I did read that the northeast part of Edmonton got hit the worst. At least we didn't lose power.
    I can't even imagine what it would be like to be caught in a real hurricane!

Ginny

• Crazy_Gardener
    14 years ago

Wow

I'm 2hrs south of Edmonton and we just got the high winds, I'm surprised that my Delphiniums are still standing. A few tall lilies were lying on the ground the next day but thankfully thats about it.

Sharon