Some peony blossoms from The Land called Honalee

Yellow King

Sword Dance

Pink Spritzer

Pink Heart

Angel cheeks

Angel Cheeks again

Fairy's Petticoat

Viking Chief~ one of the most beautiful peonies in my garden. Pic does not do it justice.

I think this is Buckeye Belle and again, it is beautiful live. Much darker, like rich strawberry mocha.

Gilbert Wild opens pink but quickly goes blush

And last but not least Doreen

Comments (20)

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

Beautiful. Just have one I planted last fall. Isn't doing much. Never had luck with them. Planted 2 but only one came up.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I find that it depends on where I get them from, how patient I am, and most importantly, that they are not planted too deep. I have over 200 peonies. :)

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

WOW!! And I can't even grow one.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Sure you can. Maybe there is something you don't like about them that is blocking you. My neighbour has one that was her mom's and she absolutely hates the ants. Guess who can't 'kill' that peony. LOL

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

There's a guy up the street who doesn't have a single plant in his yard except a peony in the middle of the lawn. Most years he lets it grow for a while, but for some reason eventually he mows it down. Even though that poor plant is so abused, it still manages to come up every year. It amazes me. This year he actually let it bloom. I feel like doing a plant rescue on the poor thing.
    I'm telling you this long story to illustrate how tough peonies are. So don't give up Beegood, I'm sure you will be able to grow one if you want. Maybe you need to start with a healthy root from somewhere that specializes in peonies.

You have a beautiful selection, Honalee. I would like to get a single flowering specimen. What would you recommend?

Original Author
    12 years ago

There are soooo many beautiful peonies and many of them are like the original single flower type. What color are you looking for?

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Wow! They are so beautiful Ginny! I always mean to get more but they're expensive to buy properly identified ones. I have bought mislabels three times from box stores now.

I always like anemone flowered ones but Pink Spritzer is my favourite of yours.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks ladies! I wish I could have been out in the garden taking pictures when everyone was in full bloom. They were all so very pretty. As I posted in another thread, I picked 2 buckets full on the 5th of July and took my dad out to the cemetary to visit my mom and brother. The skeeters were so bad, I had to put them in and go back to the truck. Dad had more protection on so he didn't get eaten. ;) Long story short, I should have taken a pic before they left my kitchen in those aluminum pails. They literally looked like an ad for a peony farm! I have waited 6 years for all of them to bloom but it was absolutely well worth it! Last year was a total write off for me so my poor peony garden got the worst of it. Good thing these plants are so forgiving! I have purchased most of my peonies from Parland Perennials out of Bruderheim. Bob Yaremko is quite a character and I think he just likes anyone who has the same passion for peonies that he does. Ferncliff is also great for large, healthy roots. Mano Capano and Lindsey D'Aoust both in Quebec are also awesome.

Gill~ I have another funny cactus one called Alley Cat. Similar to PS.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

They're beautiful, and thanks for sharing. I love them all!

Marie, i have Mollis, which is single-flowered and a very early bloomer. There's probably a picture in the gallery, maybe in the Mother's Day thread.

• savona
    12 years ago

They are gorgeous Ginny.I have never seen a peony like pink Spritzer. Is Ferncliff in B.C.? I have seen that farm name while looking at dahlias...Jean

Original Author
    12 years ago

Ferncliff is in BC. Here's the link:

http://www.ferncliffgardens.com/

They have a fair selection of the more common peonies and of course, dahlias. A few iris and daylilies too. They send nice big roots and fresh dug, not all dried up. Now's the time to order. Any orders over 200.00 for peonies excluding collections and they send a free peony. I think they have sent me a couple of freebies in the past.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's another one of Pink Spritzer

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

Very beautiful indeed. I'd like to add a few more varieties to my garden and I think I'll choose some of the Japanese type. Your Sword Dance is lovely.

I've also ordered a few from Parkland - the size of the clumps they sent just blew me away, I had blooms on all of them the following year.

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

Beautiful peonies! I planted a bunch here this year in my new gardens in Alaska but I imagine it will take a couple of years for them to settle in. I really like your selection that you have, especially the pink Sritzer.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Pink Spritzer seems to be a favorite. It is definately different. Apparently it is what is called a 'cactus' peony. It is really unique when you see it live. I'm actually surprised that the pics are so clear. It has been blooming for about 4 years now; I think I planted it in fall of 05. I honestly can't remember. Pretty sure I got it at Capano's tho. I see she has it available this year as well if she still has some left.

Freezengirl ~ What varieties did you plant? I have over 200 peonies but doubles and triples of about 5 varieties.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Well I'm a self-confessed sucker for anything striped or spotty. I really like your Viking Chief too though, I'm pretty sure I had that one bookmarked to buy a few years ago but the price always puts me off ordering peonies. I'd like a big, bright red variety one of these days.

You must have a lot of room for all those peonies! I have over 10 scattered around the yard, but most are Festiva Maxima. I gave several away last year because they're taking over.

Original Author
    12 years ago

This lot is 155 x 75 and the house is only 900 square feet. Most of my peonies are in what used to be the vegetable garden. I put them there till I decided on their permanent homes. That was 5 years ago for some. Mom's peonies are up close to the house and are 65 years old. Pretty sure they are Festiva Maxima. Started with one and now there are 2 that haven't been divided for many years. There is also a red one in the garden which is now in the shade of a large elm tree. They will all have to move when I do which may be soon. I'll be sure to share.;)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Very nice peony photos, thank you for sharing :)

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

Marcia, I can't find your picture of Mollis. But though I want a single flowered peony, I struggle to see where I can find space for one. My garden is at the point where in order to plant anything new, I have to get rid of something else. That doesn't stop me from looking and considering it. I just spent some time over in the Parkland Perennial site admiring the choices.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

Here it is, Marie. It's only a couple of feet high, maybe more like 18 inches. Really cute!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler