Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did anyone else notice...

Posted by northspruce z3a MB CDA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 9:23

... no sawfly larvae this year? Usually my delphiniums get decimated before I get a chance to pick or spray, but I haven't found one this year and my delphs are looking awesome. None on my roses either although I have a few leaf miners.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did anyone else notice...

I noticed too.

I do have a small amount of damage on potted roses, but not my Emily Carr and George Vancouver. I suspect they're coming though, now that we've got more heat. I finally saw two dragon flies yesterday, and one bee :)

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 15:23

I had a bit earlier in the year that I handpicked but the delphs are starting to bloom now and looking good.

Has anyone else noticed the horseflies are particularly aggressive and plentiful this year? I mean, they really come out in droves to attack.

o

is that what the little green caterpillars are on the delphs? or does anyone know what they are, they totally gross me out. C

o

Just checked and one bud on Marie Bugnet looked to have some damage, but that's all i found.

o

Hey bd. If you'd like, you can refer to the thread called "Delphinium question" posted on this forum on June 24, 2010 :)

Read the whole thread and it'll probably tell you what you've got :)

o

This will make it easy for future

Here is a link that might be useful: Delphinium Question Thread

o

The delphinium worm is responsible for the damage on your delphiniums...when you see the growing tip curled up in the Spring, just give it a squeeze and you'll know when you get one of these critters. The plant usually recovers, but it IS unsightly for a while. I noticed less damage this year too, but I did find a couple of these worms.

My roses are showing sawfly damage, so can't say that they are less of a presence this year...

o

I had some on both delphiniums and roses; picked through them and everything is fine except for the very heavy rain and pea-sized hail we just experienced.

o

Oh no sorry about your hail Shilla.

What I said about leaf miners? There are actually quite a lot this year. And some rose rust. Although still no black spot (never) and I haven't noticed any powdery mildew.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here