Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny_mclean_petite_garden

Someone please move the sprinkler!

Love the lush, green, summer we are experiencing here in Alberta but I sure wish Mother Nature would move the sprinkler Southeast!!!

Comments (24)

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

Here, here. We sure need it. Marg

• savona
    12 years ago

The sprinkler has been going here all day. I wish there was a cash crop for chickweed...sigh..Jean

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It has been POURING ALL DAY and NIGHT here in Edmonton. Nobody wants to go utside and when you have 7 shelties in the house it's like living with The Cat In The Hat and Things 1 thru 6!! My husband works for water and sewer and he has been up to his eyeballs in waste water all day! He just told me he will be working all weekend pumping out basements! I just wish I could wave a magic wand and send this rain to where it is so desperately needed! ~sigh~

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

"My husband works for water and sewer and he has been up to his eyeballs in waste water all day! He just told me he will be working all weekend pumping out basements!"

Well that certainly puts things into perspective! And here I was whining about the torrential rain flattening all my delphiniums.
    We are having a one day reprieve from the rain, so I won't complain anymore.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Well, here's to hoping things will soon turn around and much needed warmth and dry conditions will be ushered in and stick around. Gardens (and gardeners) are suffering and the agricultural sector is experiencing large scale crop damage.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

It's still brown & crunchy here. Even with watering, my lilies are ruined for the year, all small and stunted. The white ones are burnt. We haven't had any significant rain this month, only a single thunderstorm that rained for 20 minutes.

It's supposed to rain a bit tomorrow, here's hoping...

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

That's really strange...hopefully you get it!

When I came home last night from work, the weatherman said
    that we will have up to 25mm rain over night. [WRONG]
    All night rain and heavy often amounted to allot more.
    When driving to work this morning, weatherman said we'll have
    sunny breaks this afternoon, [WRONG] ...it rained all day.

Weatherman couldn't get it rigth for one day!

Supposedly several day's should be not too bad but by mid week looks bad again.

Barrhead was hit very bad...farmers crop is toast for this season and looking for help.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

That was a rip-off of a rainy day. The radar showed bands of rain coming through, then evaporating just before they got here. We got about 1 mm and now the sky's clear again. Still brown & crispy. :0(

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

For some reason every time I read the subject line "Someone please move the sprinkler!" it seems funnier and funnier. How clever of you Honalee.

We just had a bit more rain. The rainbow came first though.

I still have 50 or so dragonflies up for grabs. Anyone? They must be eating my ants now, as there's not enough mosquitoes left to feed nearly all of them.

Original Author
    12 years ago

I am in a deep state of shock. The forecast was for 70% showers today and we only got a spit! Shocked and impressed! Even my pots have not had the chance to dry out yet! But I got peas and bean blossoms and cherry tomatoes! Perhaps if we whisper we won't scare the sun away......:)
    I think I'm gonna sew me a dragon fly net and go for a drive....hehehe. Maybe the clouds will follow me.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I've been wondering what all our hordes of DFs are eating too, there are no mosquitoes at all. Besides the stunting of my lilies, death of my peas, and brown crispiness, I'm actually loving this summer. I think dragonflies eat all different kinds of flying insects so hopefully they're taking care of the wasps too.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

They eat deer flies and horse flies, so they're having a field day here!

• booberry85
    12 years ago

Please blow some of that stuff southeast! This is the first time EVER I've wanted rain. I can see the irony considering April we had 4 days without rain. It's drowned or drought here!

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I heard you're getting some really bad heat in NY Booberry. We had it last week and the week before, it was stifling.

• booberry85
    12 years ago

We hit triple digits on Thursday! It's the first time we've done that in 10 years. The end of this week it's suppose to be in the 90's again. Its been a very odd year so far.

We had our 3rd snowiest winter ever. We had our wettest April and spring ever. Now we're having our driest summer ever and one of the hottest. Very odd.

Hoping for rain today.

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Well here we go again.

I see the lightning, hear the thunder, the rain's coming soon, and there's also risk of hail.

The last 3 times this happened, DH and I put all the potted plants in the garage, but this time I just give up. I've put in all the effort I can.........

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

Just get it off me please!!! Everything is sodden. Enough already. I can't remember a summer where I didn't have to water my containers. And how do you fertilize them when the fertilizer is water soluble and they don't need a drop more of moisture. They are going to rot.
    I'm sure we're in for another year of blight on the tomatoes. GRRR.

Original Author
    12 years ago

I hear you Marie! I have only fertilized my tomatoes once. But I did buy some dry fertilizer...take that Mother Nature!

• ingami
    12 years ago

I have a huge, huge pot of four o'clocks in a corner by the house, and it was getting so sodden that I bought a cheap and BIG umbrella at W..mart and I've put that in there when we're due for a downpour. I thought the plants would rot too, but they are blooming merrily away. But, no tomatoes or peppers for me, way, way too wet and not enough heat, I probably didn't get them in the ground soon enough. Here, south of Camrose, a decent day, no rain yet!

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Still haven't had any rain. We got just enough to wet the patio on Wednesday morning, not enough to wet the soil. I'm having to water my containers twice a day.

• booberry85
    12 years ago

Finally! Thanks for moving the sprinkler. We're getting some decent rain today. I never thought I'd have to hope for rain (or be happy about getting it!)

Hope things are drying out in Manitoba & BC.

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

Sunny here today! And looks good for the whole weekend. I can stop whining now.

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

Maybe someone did move the sprinklers because it started raining here early this morning and been raining for the past few hours. Usually we see the lightening and rain all around us but we don't get any. They're calling for more rain this weekend. After 2 months without we really needed it. Marg

Original Author
    12 years ago

Yay!!!! Hope it continues!!! :)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH