Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My latest garden visitors

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 9:33

They were in the main garden area and then took themselves on a self-guided tour of the hosta garden. Anyone know what kind they are? Marg
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Let's put on a show before we leave!
Hostagardenvisitors

Aliveandshowingoff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My latest garden visitors

Cute! I have no idea what birds you have out east, but they look domestic to me. I don't think there are any wild ducks that are that big and thick looking.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 10:42

They were here about half an hour then they left. Hope they come back and eat some slugs and cutworms!

o

Awwww! Nice! I love ducks. Those look like a couple of Khaki Campbell girls you have there. They are a domestic duck created by a British woman by the name of Campbell. I think she used a runner duck and a Mallard originally as the males have green heads. They are common as egg layers and meat ducks. And are known for their calm temperament :)

Ginny

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 16:23

Thanks Ginny. Nice to know who they are. Wonder what neighbour they belong to or if they will be back? Marg

o

Lol! I guess I should have said "social" instead of calm. They are a rather friendly duck but they like to wander as they have the wild background of the Mallard. Of course those two could be crosses. Khakis are typical clowns of the duck world but they are not real good at staying home and sitting eggs. They are also known as the "talkers".

If they can get out, they will probably be back, especially if they find your garden particularly tastey. :)

Someone is probably looking for them.

Ginny

o

Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 9:12

An update on my garden visitors. They seem to have taken up residence in the drainage ditch on the property. DH saw that something small and brown was nesting there, this was about a month ago. Yesterday I saw these guys down there. Don't mind if they stick around. Marg

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 15:49

Now those are the kind of garden guests I dont mind either. I have no love for the moose and deer that like to destroy our garden trees!..Jean

o

Be careful, Marg. They just might adopt you.! Lol!

What does Rosie think of them?

Ginny

o

Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 19:19

Ginny, Rosie hasn't met them yet. I think she would just try to herd them or stand there and stare trying to figure out what they were! Guess they must be wild? Marg

o

They probably escaped from someones collection and the jaws of a coyote. I hope you have a fence around your vegies or Rosie will have to start reading them the rules. Lol! :)

Ginny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here