Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of bug?

Posted by crazydaisy_68 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 18, 09 at 9:40

Hey everyone, I know I haven't posted here in a while but I am still around and gardening!

Yesterday my 10-year-old daughter was out in my garden looking at flowers, etc, and came across a bug that she described to me as "it had the shape of a ladybug but just a bit bigger but it was golden! Like shiny gold! Seriously! It looked like it belonged in a museum! Mom have you ever seen a bug like that?." My answer? "Nope"

Anyways, my first thought was blister beetle but aren't they more oval?

Any thoughts?

Ang

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of bug?

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 18, 09 at 13:55

Perhaps a Golden Tortoise Beetle?

o

It's an Asian lady bug and it consumes large quantities of aphids. Check out this site

http://canada-gardens.com/2ladybugs.html

o

To Oilpainter, Thanks so much for posting the link to that site. I was surprised to see how much variety there is in lady bugs! But I found lots of other interesting info and links there also. I've bookmarked the site for later use.

o

Sorry for taking so long to get back on this! I had to catch up with my social butterfly and see what she thought of those links if anything would match up. Her comment was that it had the colouring of the tortoise beetle but you could see the legs. When I showed her the lady bug site she said, no not really because the bug she saw did not have any spots. Hmmm... I told her that next time she sees a cool bug to call me so I can snap a pic of it!

BTW that lady bug site is very cool and I had no idea either that there were so many types!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here