Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this?

Posted by marciaz3 Tropical3/NWOnt (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 9:52

Last year i WSed some seeds from a trade called "Artemesia Silver Sage". I was expecting something different, but this is what is in the holding bed this spring (dwarfing Laurie's cactus, which still hasn't found his permanent home):
Photobucket

Can anyone tell me who this really is? :) I've googled images of 'Silver Sage', and everything that comes up has narrow leaves, so it can't be that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this?

I'm certainly no plant expert and don't know what that large leafed plant is, but those small ferny looking little plants look like they could be artemesia. I have only had the Silver Mound and it seems they looked like this as young plants. Good luck with your search. Please post when you get a definitive answer. I'm curious.

o

Hi Marcia, Is it a type of verbascum?

Sierra

o

Sierra, heaven forbid! LOL I don't think it is - can't find a tag of course, but i haven't planted any verbascum in years - dug it up, yes, but not planted it!

Chickadee, the plant in back is a yellow achillea. Yes, 'Parker's Variety' - just found it in my WS notes. It's for my granddaughter, if my son ever gets another flower bed made for her!

I can't remember where the seeds came from, but it seems like they were mislabeled.

o

Salvia argentea Silver sage

o

Marcia, the plants I noticed were the little ferny ones--one behind the cactus, another bottom right and the 3rd beside the big leaf in front of the yarrow. What are they? They also look like cosmos.

o

So it is a sage, Sharon? Wonder why i couldn't find anything on it. Will have to check that out. Thanks!

Chickadee, some of those ferny things are reseeded cosmos, some are dillweed. :)

Oh, and in the corner of the picture is Henry, Jr. Remember Henry Kelsey the cowb - uh, rose? That's his offspring, who overwintered in a container in the holding bed. Will have to plant him soon.

o
RE: Oh duh!

Salvia argentia! Okay! LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here