Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curls_gw

How's the big alberta clean-up going?

curls
13 years ago

How's the post storm clean-up going?

Any Heart breaks?

I think my cucumber is toast, but it wasn't doing overly well... I got REALLY lucky that the direction of force was as it was so most of my plants were sheltered AND it miraculously didn't hail on my car!

My heart breaks for the U of C greenhouse though!

Comments (3)

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

I was extremely lucky. I just got pea sized hail for about two minutes. Minor damage to the petunias and that's it.

• morphoz3a_ab
    13 years ago

I'm in Southwest Calgary and we got pounded. Fingers crossed for my brand new apple and plum trees. The leaves were shredded and it looks like they were put through the blender, but I'm mostly concerned with the hail hits on the bark - right through the cambium. I hope they heal.

Tomatoes are little sticks, corn was about 50 cm high and I can't even find some of the plants! I thought I might have some radishes and lettuce come back, but then the torrential rain yesterday flooded what was left of the veggies.

My ornamentals all look very sad, but weirdly my delphiniums and lychnis were untouched. It was a very weird storm in terms of where the damage happened. For us, it seemed to come in from the west but then we have damage on ONE of the east downspouts. The trees are all damaged on the west side, too. I can't figure out how the hail fell, because on the west side of our yard we have a back alley (which is about 10 m wide) followed by about six back-alley neighbours' huge, mature 25 m high spruce trees. Our garage fascia is all damaged on the west side as well, right across from a huge spruce. It's like it fell to about 6m off the ground then took a left turn and hit the garage!

Anyway, we didn't have any windows broken or leaking roofs, so we're pretty thankful for that. I raked up 3 large orange bags of leaves just off the hard surfaces (driveway and sidewalk) so I still have to pick them up off the garden, something I'm not looking forward to.

Thank goodness for Farmers Markets - I'll still be able to can tomato sauce - they just won't be home grown.

• curls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awwww morpho that sucks!!!! Here's hoping your new trees thrive! Such a weird storm! My office got golf ball size hail - DH's (10 minutes away) got none! my neighborhood had minimal hail damage - neighborhood beside mine you couldn't see the road for the debris