Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

storing daylily seeds

marricgardens
14 years ago

Last year I tried to hybridize daylilies for the first time. I actually got seeds. After collecting them I put them in a ziplock bag and placed it in the fridge. Sadly, they rotted. Back to the drawing board. I'm trying again. What I would like to know is do you put a fungicide and a bit of water in the bag with the seeds? I was reading Peat and Petits book and it says that is what they do. How long do you keep it in the fridge? How soon after that do you sow the seeds? Thanks for any help. Marg

Comments (6)

• swontgirl_z5a
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I too started hybridizing last summer. I collected the seed pods and let them dry out for a few to several days in open egg cartons. I put the label card in with each. I then put the seeds in zip lock bags with no water or fungicide. I stored them in the fridge in a sealed plastic ice cream container until about December when I started germinating some of them. When they worked I started the rest after Christmas. I lost a few that had rotted and a few that got moldy but most worked fine. I checked them all in December and threw out what looked bad at that time. I tried to dry them really well because it was such a wet year here and because I thought that would create less problems than more. I soaked them in water and peroxide to germinate them and they seemed to germinate well. I now have about 800 seedlngs half of which are from my seeds. The rest I bought on the DL auction when it seemed my germination method was working. I hardened them off and put them in my garden on the May holday weekend and they are growing like crazy.
    This summer seems to be more of a challenge weather wise (if that is possible) and I haven't made too many crosses yet. I haven't tried soaking the seeds in water in the fridge but I think some people do that. My method seemed to work for me so I think I will do it that way again. It really is alot of work but I am hoping it will all be worth it when they bloom. I am keeping my seedlings weeded better than I have ever kept anything weeded before so maybe I have found the right incentive to work in the garden after it is planted! Good luck and keep trying. It is really fun!

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've only just done 2 crosses. Hope they take. Think I'll try a few more. How strong do you make the peroxide solution? Marg

• cmmwiebe
    14 years ago

See my post under an earlier thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: northern Dayllilies

• Crazy_Gardener
    14 years ago

Here is a very informative website to bookmark ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: hybridizing

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, some of the seed pods are forming. My nephew was over with his mom and he decided to help me do some deadheading, he had his new sword with him (he's 3). Unfortunately he deadheaded one of the hybridized daylilies. Would it be to late in the season to try again? I thought it might be to late for the seedpods to mature. Thanks for the advice and the link. Marg

• swontgirl_z5a
    14 years ago

Hi, I have still been doing some crosses here. I did quite a few last week when we had nice weather. Most of the ones I want to cross are finishing though. Last year I harvested seed pods throughout September. I would give it a try. If Sept is nice they will be fine. I can't remember the Peroxide strength but I will try to find it.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery