Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with plant ID please

Posted by canadianprairiegirl zone 3 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 11:19

sorry I couldn't get the photo to down load but I'm hoping some of you will be able to identify a perennial or biennial I was given last summer just from a verbal description! At the time it was small and flat like with long pointed leaves (similar to phlox) - this spring it really took off to 36-39" and produced panicles of pink, slightly scented (clove or spicey) flowers in June. When the flowers fell off, green needle shaped forms were left! Can anyone clue me in as to what this plant may be? Thank-you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with plant ID please

It sounds like a Stock. They come in a range of colors and have 2 different flower heads, sort of a drumstick shape and a more open shape. The flowers look very much like Phlox. It is a biennial. There is also Evening stocks but they are annual, the flowers do not get as big but they are more fragrant, the scent fills the yard after a rain or in the evening. If it is in a bed the seeds pods will seed themselves and you should get more. If you deadhead they will bloom throughout the summer although the flower heads tend to be smaller and less prolific. One of my must have box plants because of the scent and usually not bothered by bugs. The evening stocks can actually be overpowering if they are heavily planted. Hope this helps

o

thanks squirelette. I was wondering if it was a Stock - I just didn't think they got that big!!!! Unfortuntely I cut it down already and won't have any seed pods unless it comes back a second time. Happy gardening.

o

Long skinny needle shaped seed pods, sounds like Dame's Rocket (Hesperis matronalis) to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hesperis matronalis

o

Well it looks like Dame's Rocket is the winner after looking at the online images, thank-you Crazy Gardener. It was posted as an invasive weed in some areas but it did give the garden some nice color early on.

o

I agree, it's really pretty and it blooms early and it CAN be invasive. However, just cut back most of the seed pods, you only need a few to self seed.

Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here