Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID help for me too

Posted by marciaz3 Tropical3/NWOnt (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 07 at 11:28

Here's a plant that has been happily trying to take over the world for years now. I've dug clumps out. I've RIPPED clumps out. I've said nasty words to it. Still there, and now it has started travelling to other parts of the garden. It has underground runners, and it just keeps going and going and going....
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID help for me too

Does it flower?

o

Could it be creeping charlie? I don't have any, but when I googled creeping charlie the picture looked like yours...

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/photos/images/medium/CreepingCharlieB.jpg&imgrefurl=http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/photos/index.asp%3Fmode%3Ddetail%26Code%3DGlehed&h=360&w=262&sz=39&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=4aZ3Jga2Juu13M:&tbnh=121&tbnw=88&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcreeping%2Bcharlie%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

That site sure has a long address.

Brenda

o

Not the Creeping Charlie that infests my lawn. It has perfectly round leaves at the end, not pointed like Marcia's. The leaves are darker green too. And you can't mistake the smell.

o

It sort of looks like the pictures at that site, Brenda, but not quite. Creeping Charlie looks like it's a darker green than this thing, and i agree with Gil about the point on the leaves. I've never seen it flower, either, and i've never noticed a scent. What does Creeping Charlie smell like, Gil?

o

It's a mint family member and smells very pungent when crushed or mowed. It doesn't smell like mint but if you smelled it you would never forget it. I find the smell pleasant but it's strong and a tad skunky. Also CC blooms freely, tiny catnip-like purple spotted flowers.

o

Does it grow a stem? If it does, what does the cross section look like? Except for perhaps in really bad growing conditions, seems a pretty worthless plant to me.

o

Marcia, try the Name that Plant forum like Gil did, those guys know their plants!

Sharon

o

Rick, the stems are rounded in the front and flat at the back.

Sharon, maybe i'll try that if Rick doesn't know. He sounds like he's thinking of something!

o

Marcia, I was reading your thread at the Name that Plant forum and Remy suggested Campanula takesimana. I think he just might be right, because the leaves do become more pointed later on.
I'll see if I can take a photo of my takesimana tomorrow of the low growing leaves and the pointed ones, it should be flowering soon too.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Thug ID needed

o

Sharon and Marcia,

I know that it is for sure not Campanula Takesimana.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

You can see in the picture its leaves are also serrated on the edges, similar to Marcia's but are much more pointed and darker in coloring. They also have a rough feeling to the leaves.

They are a much shinier dark green in color compared to the Cherry Bells, Elizabeth, Bowl of Cherries or the Sarasota. My Takesimana is in full bloom.

Marcia, is your plant(s) blooming yet? Are the leaves smooth feeling or do they have a rough texture like a cat's tongue?

Brenda

o

Nothing's blooming yet, but i had forgotten that i had dug out some of it a few years ago and planted it down at my son's - he wanted something that would just take over! LOL Anyway, yesterday i noticed a couple of flower stalks in his so it will bloom soon.

Hang on while i run out and feel the texture - i'm pretty sure it's smooth, but let's see. Back. So fast the mosquitoes missed me! Okay, the leaf is relatively smooth on both sides but not satiny smooth. There is a very slightly rough texture but not like a cat's tongue.

Brenda, how is your Takesimana for invasiveness?

o

I have had it for about 4 years. The last two years I have dug about 10 babies off the clump to sell at my garage sale. There is only about 10-15 shoots on it right now. I started off with 3 or 4.

So, as for invasiveness...I would say that it isn't in my yard.

How tall is yours now?

Brenda

o

Most are only a few inches high. One at my son's is about 12 - 14 inches high. It has a bloom spike on it so i'll be able to see what it is when it blooms. What's in that picture above is just part of it. It's crawling all through one end of my front bed and finding its way to other parts of it. I'll take another picture soon. We're going to the lake for the weekend so it won't be until next week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here