Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garden pics

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 11:43

I had to use some pics I took earlier in the summer. A lot of my garden is dry stubble right now. Anyone have any pictures of rain or mud to remind me what it looks like? Marg

Rudbeckias, Prairie sun and one I received in trade
Rudbeckias

Kiss and Tell GAzanias
Kiss and Tell Gazanias

Gladys Campbell
Gladys Campbell double

Leebea Orange Crush
Leebea Orange Crush

Sabine Bauer clump
Sabine Bauer clump

Margaret Seawright
Margaret Seawright

More Rudbeckia, rec'd in trade
Rudbeckia

Latvia lily
Latvia lily

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garden pics

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 14:04

Very nice!

You've reminded me that I decided not to plant gazanias this year :( I should have planted at least a few, I just love them.

Several of my Indian Summer rudbeckia wintered and are quite nice - just starting to put on a show. I'm always happy with unexpected winter survivals.

In the first pic, what is the plant to the right with all the pods on it? Seems like I should recognize it.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 14:16

Those large seed pods belong to Nigella/Love in a Mist. This year I had lots of various shades of blue and even some pink. I love reseeders! Marg

o

Lots of sunny colors! All I got in my yard is GREEN!!! And MUD! Love the Gazania! And I think I shall have to put Gladys on my wish list now.......TFS Marg :)

o

Looking good Marg! I used to grow gazanias - they're beautiful - but I started realizing I almost never saw them open because they snap shut when the sun's off them, and I'm usually at work during the day. They're good for hot & dry spots though.

o

It does look great, Marg. I've only a couple of daylilies opening, and nothing too spectacular yet.

I almost always grow gazanias too, but didn't this year. I had them in my cedar log for a few years but the mesenbryanthemums were so spectacular in there last year that i grew them instead. Only thing is that i must have gotten different seeds, because these are tiny tiny and kind of an insipid red. I'll make sure i get the right seeds next year!

o

Very nice pictures Marg. I particularly like the Latvia lily. I have something similar.

Marcia, what the heck is a mesenbryanthemum? Could you post a picture? Flowers in a cedar log sound interesting.

I really should invest in a computer and compatible camera so I could post pictures. Only thing is though, I keep spending money on plants instead =:)

Lynn

o

Lynn~ mesembryanthemum is otherwise known as Livingston Daisy. It is a tough little rock succulent whose flowers literally sparkle in the sun. Rock hugging whose leaves resemble portulaca, it is available in many colors. I have planted Vesey's, FerryMorse and T&M seeds in the past. :)

o

Mesembranthemums:
Mesenbryanthemum 3

The log planter:
Mesenbryanthemums in cedar planter
I moved the planter this year so that it would be easier to mow around it - notice the tall grass? All better now!

o

That planter looks really nice. I wouldn't have thought of that.

I have mesem.....! I winter sowed some and got 2. I'm not a fan of daisies but I really like them because they're so brightly colored. The stems are kind of funny though. At first I thought I had aphids =:)

o

One of the packages i had said to start them in total darkness. The first year i tried them, i didn't read the package and didn't get many either. The next year (last summer), i used the darkness trick and got lots, as you can see!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here