Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over head watering and roses

Posted by SouthCountryGuy SE BC 4b-5a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 12:09

I know I could put this on the Roses forum but we have enough extremely knowledge people in our community I thought I would start here.

I am planning on putting in an island next year to fill with roses. The location that I want it in would make watering the lawn on one side if it very challenging (well expensive) if I don't spray over the planned rose bed. The lawn is watered every second day in the hot summer and in the spring and fall I manually turn on the system as needed.

Everything I have read suggests that spraying over the roses is very bad for them. But most of the people I got this info from are in humid climates. I am the exact opposite. What are your thoughts? I can't afford to do both the extra irrigation and the roses. After seeing North's nice gardens and not noticing any irrigation to avoid spraying the beds while watering the grass has given me some hope.

TIA

SCG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over head watering and roses

My climate isn't even as dry as it was when I was a kid, but I honestly don't get the diseases everyone else complains about in roses. I totally overhead water all the time. I don't know exactly what the difference is but I've challenged my climate by growing notorious disease magnets, and not had the problems. My roses have a couple of spots of rust this year, and I occasionally see powdery mildew, but never blackspot.

o

Thanks North. I really want to put this garden in such a bad way. There is so much information out there on each side it is mind boggling. Think I might go for it.

SCG

o

Mine just get watered along with the lawn using a regular sprinkler - it`s so dry here I never have a problem with blackspot or mildew.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here