Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klippster

Honeycrisp Apple

klippster
15 years ago

Has anyone had success in growing a Honeycrisp Apple or Summercrisp and Luscious Pears in Zone 2.

Comments (9)

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

Honeycrisp Apple
    I had no luck in my zone 3, in the city of Edmonton it would work much better, more like a zone 4.
    This one is rated as a zone 4 and up apple.

Summercrisp and Luscious Pears are preferred for zone 5 to 9, not something anyone in zone 2 would have much luck with.

Konrad

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

I live just out side of Edmonton north of Sherwood Park and my Honey Crisp wintered real well, had blossoms and now has one apple that I left it with. And it did get down to -40 at my house.It got no special protection for the winter.

• klippster
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gentlemen, thanks for responding to my post. I have all of these trees and they seem to be surviving to this point.

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

Good, Klippster,
    for how many winters?...are you protecting them?
    Konrad

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    15 years ago

Maybe, I'll try HoneyCrisp in my protected backyard. Earlier they had been available at the Budding Tree on the west end, I guess I'll have to try for next spring.

Terry

• granolabar (Zone 2)
    15 years ago

I got to minus 43C with minimal protection in Zone 2. I lost all the tips and about 10 inches off about half the branches. It never finshed leafing out until the end of June but has now almost caught up to last year. I suspect I wouldn't have had a problem in any of the previous 10 years but that cold snap did it. The Honeycrisp was my experiment. I have 8 other apples that survived well with only the Zone 3 Carlos Queen losing a couple inches off the tips. And then my daughters friend backed over another one.

• cmmwiebe
    15 years ago

"* Posted by beegood z-3 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 10:24

I live just out side of Edmonton north of Sherwood Park and my Honey Crisp wintered real well, had blossoms and now has one apple that I left it with. And it did get down to -40 at my house."

Do you know what rootstock it is on?

Clayton

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

Clayton No I don't know what rootstock it's on. I checked with the nursery I got it from and he told me they aren't told what it is when they get them.

• klippster
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had some tip kill last year which I trimmed off. There were quite a few spurs so I am anticipating some Apples this year. I managed to get some Lucious pears last year (they were delicious, better than bartlett) but they were very late.