Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who am I?

Posted by SouthCountryGuy SE BC 4b wannabe 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 12:53

Of course they were my first perennial plantings and I thought that putting that nice little name card beside them was enough. Now entering the second summer (if it ever starts) the cards have fallen prey to dogs, kids and weather and I would like to talk to them by name.

So can anyone tell me who this is? She is in part shade getting about 3 hrs of early morning sun. I think she may need to get more light but I don't know what to research it by.

She is about 40" tall. Sorry for the poor photo I can get another when she is in full shade if you need.

and the blooms

Thanks all and happy C-EH-N-EH-D-EH Day

SCG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who am I?

Trollius ... globe flower ... and you've got yourself a very tall vigorous type, there are compact ones also.

o

Mine like part shade and a lot of water.

o

Yeah, trollius for sure, but that tall?? Wow! Mine are a lot more compact. One just finished blooming and New Moon just starting.

o

SCG, please show and tell us more about what you've got planted in that nice long bed you've made for yourself :)

o

Well, thanks for asking Terrance. Now I feel better about bugging about ID's.

September before last I got the inkling to put in perennials. I bought a truck load of topsoil and on the last day of business for a local nursery I haggled a deal where I got 35 plants and 3 shrubs for $100. Caveat being some where unnamed, mislabelled and/or unsure.

Step forward to now I have a whole pile of an untidy mish mash which I am learning to adore.

Here is the overview..

To many to list but my fav is the hosta in center "september sun'. One end has a 'Pee Gee' hydrangea (closest) and the other a 'quick fire' (thanks ostrich!) and 'Nova Zembla' rhody
as anchors...in between is a combination of what I bought and what I traded for.

*edit* better pic of 'September Sun'

While I tend to plant to close I will mention that half of my hostas I bought never showed up last year so I did plant too close as they sprung thus, lol...

Since you asked, who is the red leafed plant in front of the astilbe on the right?

Another look after Donna's ID

And yes I will have more plant ID's soon some spread (jacobs ladder) like wild fire.

Thanks

SCG

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 22:53

o

That red leafed plant is one mother big heuchera! Looks like it's happy in its present location.

o

Thanks Donna! i am such a newbie it is fun....

SCG

o

Good to see your flowers, SCG! I see you have the same rampant lamium as i do. :) And as for Jacob's Ladder, my blue one is very well-behaved. The white one - different story!

o

DING DING DING! Yes, it's a trollius! :-)

SCG, I need to get a deal like that!!! $100 for 35 plants and a shrub!!!!!!!!?????? WOW!

Now, you need to send me those GORGEOUS hostas! I love them!!! Love your astilbes also.

Now, I am glad that you like your Quick Fire! Your yard is looking lovely. I am very jealous of your zone 5 climate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Marciaz3 my blue one is the one that wants to take over the world. I had 5 plants last year and shovel pruned to maybe 15 this....

Ostrich, Yeah was a great deal but it was the last day they were open for the year...I am a sucker when I can get a deal. You are welcome to split my hosta's in a year or so when they mature, I'd be happy to send you a root ball. Plus don't forget I am a 'wannabe' zone 5, this winter was 2b.

Let me say wow...from a 20C all month we hit 38.6C today. Major problem is the beer flows very well at this temp!

SCG

o

My blue polemonium is in a much shadier area than the white, so maybe that's why it's well-behaved. I took some of the white ones out and put them in a shadier spot where i don't care if they want to take over the world.

I wonder what our winter this past year could have been considered. I'm thinking -3! LOL

o

That soil you brought in must be dang good stuff, your plantings are thriving, just look at those astibiles! You might be new to gardening, but you're off to a very good start and a wise man for having put down the mulch, I just battle weeds all the time!

Yes, it's been beer weather the last few days, I wish we had more beer days in the year, lol,

o

Sorry to be away for so long but work was hectic.

Thanks Terrance, I now mulch everything. WOW so many less weed but the caveat is slugs, at least here. Everything I have grown since gardening in this soil grows twice what it is supposed to, weeds included.

I am so thrilled to have most roses budding in the garden... makes weeding so easy just to creep up and anticipate that plant having a bud....

Yes, small things amuse me :)

SCG

o

Am I correct that the front right plant is also heuchera, maybe coral bells?

Dang trollius had to be staked. After a few warm days it is over 48" tall..

SCG

o

You mean the ones with the red flower? Yes, that's heuchera as well.

o

Thanks! I am getting better lol

o

Loving the photos - have this Saskatchewan woman beginning to see a moving van in her future! I too am a zone 5 wanna be!

o

Lol gerry1.

Since you asked....another to guess at

and one just because the sun is shining

The marigold corner

SCG

o

That's a lupin, SCG.

o

Thanks Donna. There is only a couple left now to ID. HOOT!

o

Ah ha! The trollius is the cultivar 'Golden Queen'. Going to be split this fall!!

SCG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here