Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lots of water!

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 12:57

Measured 5 inches deep in the large plastic pails, [around 5 gal.] in one day,..

Any of you can convert to actual rain amount,...somehow, rain
gauges have different openings etc,...cant really figure it out.
My rain gauge was not deep enough!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lots of water!

Just under 3 inches here, though down the road they got 4 inches. Had been rather dry conditions at my location, but now everything has gotten a very good deep drink ... but, those winds were nasty and had topple plenty of plants such as sunflowers and corn and some being too damaged to be propped back up again.

o

Konrad, 5" is 5" of rainfall. Most rain gauges are only tapered then have graduated markings to more accurately measure smaller amounts.

That is a lot of rain!

SCG

o

Do the pails have straight sides?

I thought it was only measured 1 for 1 if the sides were straight???

o

Good point NAF. I was assuming a cylindrical shape and yes it only true then. As well technically it has to be perfectly vertical.

If not you could pour the water into, say a 5 gal pail then calculate how much water there is, then measuring the top of pot it came from ratio how deep it would have been if the sides were straight.

SCG

o

Both the rain gauge and an ice cream pail I had sitting around pretty much measure close to the same amount of 3 inches of rainfall.

o

We have only had a few sprinkles lately. A lot of MB was flooded out earlier this summer so that's not a bad thing. I just put the soaker hose on in the vegetable garden for the first time this year!

o

Thank you all!
I get it now,...straight walls would make it bang on, I might make a rain gauge from some 4 or 5 inch tubing I have sitting around,..those plastic ones just don't last!

The pail is 10 inches in diam. at the bottom, 11 inches at the top
and 15 inches deep,...slightly taper for demolding and stacking.
So, a little less then 5 inches rain, I could figure it out mathematically exact but I'm not cracking my head today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here