Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sierra_z2b

Wave Petunias

sierra_z2b
17 years ago

I have started the regular wave petunias from seed for several years now. For a few years I was putting 3 wave plants in those little white plastic garden swans....and with everything I read....they should have filled the swan and covered the railing that they were sitting on and so forth......but although the three plants filled the swan planter and did cascade nicely.....they never really took off. I had also tried them in the garden and again they didn't take off like they were supposed to. I still used them every year but not like they were supposed to be.

This year I was going to cut back on the petunias...but DH found a pack of Tidal Wave cherry and wanted me to try them...so I did. I think there were 5 sprouts from the pack. Once they started to take off a bit I transplanted them into 4 inch pots......the first sprouts, got big fast, so I moved them to slightly bigger pots. I took cuttings and just watched them grow. LOL One plant in particular, wouldn't slow down......so I put that one into a gallon pot. I also took a second set of cuttings. These things just want to grow...doesn't matter what you do. Every cutting from both sets of cuttings took.

One of these plants would have been to big to put in the swan planter at plant out time. So I put three into a wooden planter and they have filled it and ummmmmmm are trying to take over the driveway.

Ya, I know this is long.....but I am curious if this is just the difference in the plain wave petunias and the Tidal wave petunias or was it the difference in the size of the grow out pots? What experiences have you all had with this.

I also noticed in the seed catalogues Easy Wave petunias....any body grow them this year and what have been your experiences with them?

Sierra

Comments (15)

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

Thanks for the link, Sharon. Has anyone tried the Double wave petunias? The website says they have done well in trials in Alberta. Or are they availble in the retail market yet?

Shauna

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the link Sharon. So have you noticed any difference in the size of plant growth after you plant out, if you use smaller pots when you start them? Like 4 inch pots instead of one gallon pots. Or does this matter at all? Basically do they get stunted?

I also had extra plants so I put them into two blooming bags......and they are climbing. LOL....they kind of look strange in there......but I scattered them so they wouldn't be crowded....toooooo funny. I really like these better than the plain waves though.

I have never seen the double waves, but maybe they are only available as plants and not seed yet.

Sierra

• robert_flannery
    17 years ago

Tidal waves were bred to grow much taller and wider then waves. I've seen a single tidal fill a half barrel in a season. Easy waves are more mounding but will still trail. I really like the Ramblin' series. They spread a good 2 feet and don't go flat like waves can, and you have 12 colours to pick from(Ramblin' Red is very nice). One thing we learned very early at the greenhouse is less is more, one wave in 10-12" basket does better then three. Any of the spreading petunias are hogs and don't like to share space.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Shauna, I have tried the Double Waves, but I prefer Supertunia Priscilla much much better. Not only for their growing habit, but for their knock-out fragrance.

Sierra, I have never had any Petunia get stunted; all germinate and grow very well. I usually sow them in a 5x7 flat, then prick the seedlings into 4" squares and then take cuttings from there. IÂve never had to transplant them into gallon size containers.

Sharon

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info....

I tried ramblin red last year or the year before. I must have crowded them to much as well....as they didn't get much bigger than the storm petunias. Have to try them again too. LOL!

Sierra

• savona
    17 years ago

This is what i have observed about the tidal wave petunias..nothing can out perform the way they grow and bloom..they tend to grow upward untill the weight of the branches or wind makes them start to fall ..then they resume their upward growth untill it happens again over and over..they fill the top of the baskets so they never look bare..I have a pink rave of the wave I kept cuttings from last year..it will mound somewhat but not as much as the tidal waves...the avalanch wave petunias are smaller and I thought mine looked somewhat like a sombrero hat last summer on the way they grew..lol..I have red and white ramblers this year and really like them..they dont seem to mound much but the red colour stays a true red..the white rambler seeems to have out preformed the red for growth and blooms..I also have a purple wave (not and easy wave)..it has grown very flat.for the most part the blooms are all at the bottom of the branches..I mixed the red+white ramblers with the purple wave and pink rave of the wave with bidens..and of course the bidens has out performed everything..lol...savona
    {{gwi:761852}}

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

I prefer the wave's myself over the tidal waves.
    Every year I grow some blue vein double wave's. These are very fragrant and I like to put them by my door. Their smell kind of reminds me of sugar daddy petunias.
    {{gwi:761854}}

{{gwi:761856}}
    Don't mind the weeds. Everything got away on me this spring.
    Shelley

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Shelley - looks just like home! :) Love those double blue veins. They're on the list for next!

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The power just came back on. Was out for almost 2 hours. :O

Okay, whats the difference between supertunia and double waves? I bought some supertunias last year I think it was, and they looked like the pic above. Are they the same thing?

Shelly the secret to no weeds is photoshop. LOL! Joking!

Sierra

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

There is really no difference in the growing habit of Supertunia or Double Wave, the only difference between the two is that they have different breeders, Waves are of course from the Wave® company and Supertunias from the Proven Winners® company, both are propagated from cuttings only.

This is Petunia 'Supertunia Priscilla' which looks just like Shelley's Double Wave Blue Vein.

Sharon

• northspruce
    17 years ago

I just noticed McFayden's fall catalogue has two pages of petunia seeds for "early starters" this year. More seed companies should be selling seeds in fall for winter sowing and indoor sowing, it makes sense to me!

• dramamean
    15 years ago

Help.....I am missing my smile!! It dissapeared several days ago when my wife's wave petunias went limp. She grew them in a homade germination box (flats with small light underneath for heat). They seemed to germinate ok, but shortly after went limp. Southern exp. room with heat lamp. We suspect the air circulation was inadequate in the room, but are kinda ignorate on growing from seed. She wanted them to have for Mothers day. We live in central Indiana. We are new to this site, but have been very impressed with the wealth of knowledge available here! Any advice from the wily green vetrans would be appreciated, as I miss her smile! Thanks in advance.

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

If they suddenly collapse and died, I suspect damping off, a fungal disease that attacks the roots of seedlings very quickly.

Start with clean equipment, washing pots and containers with bleach and water.

Avoid using real soils, instead, go for a special seed-starting mix, it may be more expensive then cheap soils but well worth it.

Once you see most of the seed has germinated, take off plastic domes and remove from heating mat.

A cirulation fan is a must have. Set on low for the first few days so that you don't knock over the seedlings.

DonÂt over water but allow soil to dry slightly between watering. Watering from the bottom is also a good preventive measure.

As well, use No Damp®, the best preventative against 'damping off' IME.

Better luck next time!

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: No Damp®

• wheatone_nf_sympatico_ca
    12 years ago

this is my first year growing tidal wave petunias & because of limited space i put just 1 plant in a grow bag in the top as this will eliminate having to lay the bag flat for 2 weeks. i'm hoping the plant will tumble and cover the grow bag. will this work or is it a waste of a plant? thank you. a happy gardener in Labrador' newfoundland

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!