Bumps on my trees leaves

Posted by crazy_gardener ~Z2b~ AB Canada (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 13:31

What the heck is it?

Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bumps on my trees leaves

Galls of some type. My plum tree is covered with them this year. They are from particular wasps laying eggs in the young leaves. Your squiggly ones don't look familiar to me though.

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 21:11

I've got something going on with one or two of my chokecherry trees. I was pruning today - OMG they are just loaded with fruit this year - and found a lot of little white bumps all over the leaves. They seem too big to be aphids. No damage to the tree as of yet. Have no idea what they are but I'm hoping a bird or two comes along and takes care of the problem - if it is a problem - for me. But it's only 1 or 2 trees out of about 30 so unless it starts to spread, I'm not going to worry about it.

o

Thanks Gil and Pudge, I guess I'll sit back and watch them hatch ;)

Sharon

o

I had something similar happen to my Linden tree. It spread to my chockcherries too. Which were right beside it.
It kept getting worse as the years went by.
I was told that it was some kind of mite.
Both of these trees are gone now. I haven't had any trouble with it spreading to my other trees.

You might have to spray it early in the spring as it is leafing out if it continues.

Shelley

o

Most often galls like this are are caused by a type of mite. But it's not a terrible one, and really, they only cause cosmetic damage. Maples, members of the Prunus genus(including plum), hackberries and oaks are the most common trees affected.

o

Thanks Shelley and Rick for your comments, yes they really look ugly, hopefully the birds and the hard rains will get rid of them ;)

Sharon

o

Thanks Rick, didn't know about the mites. I thought they were from wasps.

o

what's this?

o

I have three pictures (2/3)

o

I have similar things on chokecherry,.. apparently not damaging, only cosmetic.
Now I remember on the neighbors elm tree every year,...it's gone now, [cut down] because it was getting too big and messy with all those seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leave disease

o

Thanks! The cosmetic is not pretty but we can live with that. LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here