Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What did I buy?

Posted by northspruce z3a MB CDA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 13:42

I'm so lazy I don't even have a picture, but I was at Walmart stocking up on discounted perennials (mwahahaha) and I bought this small woody shrub without a tag. I'm hoping someone could name it from a description. The bad part is there was one next to it with a tag but I forgot the name. I think it started with C.

It's a small woody shrub as I mentioned, with shiny, roundish tough leaves that I think had a finely serrated margin. It's not a vine. The flowers are red and about an inch long, and look like a honeysuckle or a cigar plant. If I recall, they don't flare out at the ends at all but are just a straight tube. The tag said butterflies like it and it's perennial.

Any ideas?

Oh also I picked the right week where everything's discounted but not yet dead. I picked up several heuchera, a delphinium, a trollius, a Japanese iris, and a really nice Tradescantia. :D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What did I buy?

You probably saw its french name Certains Brousse, its latin name is quidem frutex. I think I nailed this one, especially for a beginner :)

SCG

o

Bahhh double post.....

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 16:51

o

Are you sure about those names SCG? They're not bringing anything up on Google searches...

o

Yeahp....put them in a translator. :-)

o

You nailed it - definitely Certains Brousse

o

O.K. So what DID you buy?

We've been given French and Latin, but what about English? :)

o

I have a twisted sense of humor. Put the names in an online translator.

SCG

o

Translation

o

Okay I get it now. LOL.

On further investigation, the flowers are about an inch and a half long and do flare at the ends, and have a little yellow pattern inside. Still too lazy to take a photo. Any serious guesses?

o

I seriously guess you should post a photo, LOL, LOL ! :)

o

Lol I wouldn't know even from a photo but would guess again if I am allowed.

o

how about this

o

weigela?

o

Nope, I have a weigela, not that. The tubes are small and skinny. I'll go take a pic... sigh. LOL

o

Here it is. I'm 95% sure the name started with C. I want to say Catalpa but that's something else. Something I wish I had, come to think of it.

photo photo18_zpscc8d1120.jpg

o

Is it a Fuchsia? There are some that have those tubular flowers.

o

No idea what your shrub is, but I had a catalpa for awhile. I got seeds in the Box of Seeds and had one that survived for a few years. And I was so proud of it! LOL

o

Hmm it's a coral honeysuckle.

Hope it likes being a ground cover, because I have nothing for it to climb!

o

Doesn't look like honeysuckle leaves to me...

Look up images of Fuschia 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt'.

This post was edited by Donna.in.Sask on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 23:57

o

I second Donna. Fuschia Gartenmeister or Koralle. Not a hardy shrub for our zones. Cuttings easy to root, can be grown indoors thru the winter (although it doesn't grow indoors as well as it does outside). Supposed to be enjoyed by hummingbirds, I've yet to see them visit mine, but it could be they don't like where I've placed mine each year.

o

This my Gartenmeister. It really does attract hummingbirds.

o

Thanks guys! Bizarre how the flowers look like honeysuckles but I see now that the leaves are fuchsias.

So is yours hardy Beegood? Does it die to the ground in the winter?

o

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 16:32

Mine is in a hanging basket. It would never winter out here. I don't bring it in for the winter. Just get a new one in the spring.

o

Whelp, that was a disappointing perennial bargain. :( I don't like it enough to be a $4 annual.

o

Just an update... The freaking thing was left in the garden over the coldest winter in 160 years, and it's...
wait for it...
ALIVE.

o

Hahahaha! Never judge a plant by it's price. :)

Ginny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here