Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prairie Dawn Info Please

Posted by shootingstar2 zone 3/4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 07 at 13:48

Hi all,

This spring I picked up a Prairie Dawn on impulse not really knowing much about it's habits at time or purchase. A quick look/read indicated it might get big and might sucker so I placed it in the front lawn off by itself just to see what it would do in it's first year.

I has been impressive, just covered with blooms that are much larger than I was expecting in huge clusters of pink.

As I read and research more I am seeing wildly different reports on mature size. I have even seen it suggested as a climber or rambler substitute for colder zones. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should move it. As I am always searching for climbers/ramblers that I can fill in the back fence with.

Can anyone who is growing it comment on it's size and performance?

Also, how does it compare with the other Prairie's (joy, youth, peace) in the set.

thanks a bunch

shootingstar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prairie Dawn Info Please

Yes, it grows very tall, my PD is about 5.5 feet tall and about 4.5 ft wide, it's about 6 years old. I don't find that it suckers out of control.

All the Prairies are all beautiful and hardy, if you've got the space get them all ;)

Sharon

o

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the info, that's not too bad and about what I thought initially, however I saw some reports that said 12 x 10 and started to really wonder.

I agree all the prairies are lovely and P.Peace is on my list for sure for next year after seeing those pics in the June Roses thread. Don't know if I'll be able to fit in the other 2 though, sigh.... so many roses I NEED and so little space.

How is the repeat on your PD? Does the foliage stay decent looking through the later part of summer?

thanks again
Cathy

o

Hi Cathy, you're in a warmer zone than I, so yours may get taller. I can see in zone 6/7 where this rose can get huge!

PD will intermittent until frost if you have the time and patience to snip off the spent blooms. Stop deadheading around August and let the others form hips, this will signal the rose to get ready for winter. Right now my PD foliage on the bottom part is not looking so great, bad year for blackspot for me.

Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here